Originally Posted by DeeDee
Just goes to show how different kids with AS can be. Many would be totally freaked out about missing some points.

I think your decision about letting it go or not should be based in part on whether asking her to raise her standards will raise her anxiety past a tolerable level.

In principle it's good to encourage "do your best work," and looking over and correcting are important skills. (Does she make the same errors in pencil/paper math? The computer isn't an inert tool; it changes the game.)

My DS (9, AS) generally whizzes through work he doesn't like, often with sloppy results; I have hovered over him to slow him down, and I urge checking of work, in hopes that this will eventually be internalized.

We also talk about a scale of "poor... OK... good... excellent" and have him examine his output to see where it falls on the scale. His self-concept doesn't match reality sometimes, and IMO it's good to have him check in with other people's standards for what constitutes adequate or excellent work. So far this has not made him anxious, so we're all good. If he became too anxious, I'd tone my process down.

HTH,
DeeDee

It's funny DeeDee, because if it were a science or english assignment, much less test, she would be extremely freaked about the grade, because she loves the subject. Math is just "eh" for her to begin with. She does use pencil & paper as she works on the computer. The last quiz, once again, she missed two, we looked at it, and she says (in less than 5 seconds) "Oh, I forgot to use the order of operations." It was the same mistake for both problems.

I try not to hover over her, simply because I'm trying hard to let go somewhat and make her take some responsibility for her work. Last yr word study was a major problem, I had to redirect every 5 minutes for her to stay on task, it wore both of us out, and I decided I was not doing it this year. It may be something I need to do on a short-term basis.

I think I'll discuss the scale with her teacher and see if she could use it when they review the math lessons, she's hyperaware of anything she perceives as criticism coming from me, or sensing disappointment. She may see it more objectively coming from someone else, then implementing it at home as well.

Thanks for the help!