Originally Posted by AlexsMom
Wouldn't have helped her a bit on last Friday's math test, on which she got no credit for 3 of the problems because the instructions (which she didn't read) required that she show her work in a particular way. They're doing a whole unit on estimating using different techniques, and she has the "why bother estimating when it's just as easy to solve the problem" thing going on.

I'll confess to the same mindset even into college (and when it comes to dd and the whole AS thing, the apple not only did not fall far from the tree but may not even have fallen at all). I had learned to do a certain kind of math problem one way, and in my clinicals, was learning to do it a different way. Since my clinical instructor had written the text, she was very invested in us doing things her way-- and at the beginning of one test, leaned over my shoulder and said quietly "you may find that sometimes it's to your advantage to do things the way you're told, not the way you think is best." Uh...erk. Yeah. Stimulus for sudden epiphany, that.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."