Originally Posted by Giftodd
Wish this site had a like button. I really agree lmp. We don't have the clothing brands you mentioned here, so I have no idea what they're like but can imagine based what similarly aged kids want to wear here. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm not big on sexy for young girls, but beyond that dd can do what she likes. Her favourite nail polish combo is alternate black and bright pink, she is looking forward to one day having blue hair (she loves here hair as it is for now) and likes to push the boundaries of her school's uniform policy by taking them at their word on anything that says that something is only 'preferred' rather than mandatory (so she often wears bright purple runners, badges all over her hat and has a surf bag rather than the standard school bag). She's confident enough to carry it off as cool even though she looks different to other kids (and really, real cool is all about being confident - it has little to do with brands and fashion).

For her it's important to look like 'herself'. She has no concept of brands, but knows the kinds of colours and shapes she likes. Like lmp I too see the value in feeling confident enough to be yourself and own your nerdiness as part of that and so I encourage her to do whatever feels right for her. Sometimes she just wants to fit in, other times she just wants to express herself. Dd is still only little, but she has a strong sense of self. As long as she's not hurting herself or anyone else, I let her be and help her out where I can. I hope that as she develops this sense of self will help her stand up to peer pressure and advocate for herself as she'll be younger than her peers. Obviously that remains to be seen!

I agree with this, esp. the parts I bolded. I absolutely think it is wonderful for a child to be confident and secure enough to find her own style. That is my concern. I think parents of girls particularly must be aware of the massive amount of marketing what is "cool" to "tween" girls. I think it is probably difficult for a girl trying to find her identity when surrounded by the consumerist culture and all of the images aimed at making her think that appearance/brands/etc. are the most important thing. I think it is important that we make our daughters aware of what marketing is and the messages being sent.

Books like So Sexy, So Soon, Packaging Girlhood, No Logo, this article titled Stealing Childhood Stealing Childhood all address these issues.

From Media Awareness network http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/parents/marketing/issues_teens_marketing.cfm

"Corporations capitalize on the age-old insecurities and self-doubts of teens by making them believe that to be truly cool, you need their product.
As they make the transition from childhood to the teenage years, tweens (ages 8-12) are continually bombarded with limiting media stereotypes on what it is to be a girl or a boy in today�s world. This �packaged childhood� is sold to them through ads and products; and across all media, from television, music, movies and magazines to video games and the Internet.

Young girls in particular are targeted by marketers, and the focus of these ads � beauty, sexuality, relationships, and consumerism � is worrisome for parents. According to Sharon Lamb and Lyn Mikel Brown, authors of Packaging Girlhood, images of girls as �sexy, diva, boy-crazy shoppers� can be quite harmful to their self development. At an age when girls �could be developing skills, talents, and interests that will serve them well their whole life, they are being enticed into a dream of specialness through pop stardom and sexual objectivity.�