My daughter is now 12, almost 13. She started some very similar attitude at 8. Based on our experience, I wouldn't feel comfortable saying it gets better yet. It just gets *different.* To some degree, acting like a teenager comes off as a bit more immature, since regular teenagers don't often act like a "typical teenager." It's almost like she's going too far with it to show how much she can pull it off? Not sure what's happening in her thought process there.

But anyway, we've had ups and downs. I went through a period where I wasn't sure how to talk to her anymore, until I realized that she didn't just become a different person overnight. She's just expressing interest in new things. That realization helped our relationship a lot.

I've also tried to support more of her desires for dress or appearance, because it's about how she sees herself, not how I see her. It's a tough balance because you don't want to go too far with it. Aeropostale and Rue 21 have decent clothes that can fit kids who are at the high end of the Children's Place range.

I've heard it gets better around 15/16 if it starts at 8. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

asdgestalt.com - An autism and psychology discussion forum.