Your post scares me a bit. I have a PG son who will be 8 in December. A few months ago we noticed that he seemed to be heading in this same direction. Just last weekend at a fair he said, "Mommy, you and Daddy can do whatever you like while I ride the rides *by myself*." He's seven. He's an only. He's always been glued to us. Now this? I even detected what I think may have been the very beginning of that "embarrassed to be seen with my parents" deal. He's very sweet and isn't ugly about it at all (Yes, I'm from the South, re: ugly), but to be getting the brush off like that so soon... yech...

Call me naive, but until this past week, I really and truly thought that we would just skip over that part of the growing up process. Really, I did. I don't have any answers for you, but I sure hope others do because I could use some advice. Being my only child, I'm feeling a bit cheated as we barrel through all of these phases at breakneck speed.

So, I have no answers for you other than continue to support her where she is now as she tries to figure it all out, but set some firm boundaries about what isn't going to fly at age eight. I'm still hoping that the change we saw this weekend was a fluke.

Mom2MrQ ...who is still laughing about the Lloyd Dobler clip posted on another thread. BTSDT