You sound like you have no idea what to do for your undergrad degree, let alone graduate school. Have you gone through any career counseling through your college? Have any trusted teachers who know you and your strengths and might provide guidance? Unless you develop a true passion or have a specific job in mind that requires a degree, I would not pursue graduate school at this time. Without a goal in mind, it sounds like you will be bidding your time and incurring expenses. I did that with mixed results.

As for my experience, I went to an Ivy league school for undergrad. I got my degree in something that initially interested me but that had lost it's spark by the time I finished it. I went ahead and just finished my degree since the culture at my school and finances dictated that I finish in 4 years. After that, I had no idea what to do so I applied to law school based on some specious logic. I went to a UC school back when they were cheap and excellent. I wanted to quit after my first year but had no better plan so I finished my degree.

I might have made different choices if I had had more real life experience especially before law school. Also I would have looked at different types of law and avoided big firm life. I learned the hard way that I like being involved in problem solving long before anyone would call a lawyer. I doubt that I could have come to that realization without work experience. Of the different careers I've had, being an ombudsman/internal advocate for an organization suited me best.

Last edited by knute974; 08/08/11 11:56 AM. Reason: typo