I've noticed many of you have graduate degrees. Would you recommend pursuing one to someone else?

Are graduate programs really more rigorous than the 4 year programs?

For those of you who went to really good colleges,
Do you think lower ranking colleges provide programs that are as challenging as the ones provided at the best schools?
(I will never get into a selective college at this point and there are none nearby.)

My college transcript makes me look bi-polar. I've got straight As, then Cs, Ds, and Fs. Then straight As again and so on. I changed my major at least 7 times. I still only have 80 credits. My GPA isn't great, and even if I pulled it up and thought about going to grad school, there are no good schools anywhere near our house. I'd end up looking at online programs.

Last question,
What was your undergrad experience like?

Many of you graduated and are doing well, so obviously my lack of educational attainment must be due to me making too many excuses. I only attended a "real" college, on campus, for one semester. I took Biology, Chemistry and Accelerated Pre-Calc (this was during my "Doctor" phase because all my doctors kept saying I ought to become one.) Everything else I took was through a military campus extension program, online classes, and community college. (The best professor I had was at a community college. She made me love learning again!)

Most kids didn't pass the Biology class, but I ended up skipping all my classes and reading all the chapters the night before the test. I remember on the second test only 2 of us got an A. I tried to talk to my teachers after class, but they didn't seem to have time for my questions or care at all. It was disheartening. I stopped showing up for the last 2 tests and they gave me a C, even though I only took two tests and got As.

The chemistry teacher made his own binder of notes and taught the kids the bare minimum they needed to know to get the material. I couldn't get it without seeing the whole picture. I bought a Chemistry book and spent all night at home reading it and teaching myself. I fell behind and felt really dumb.

Pre-Calc... I needed to work, but didn't. I got some Bs and didn't want to go anymore.

Anyway, I am much better now about not feeling stupid if I have to work at something. I've seen that research posted around here, about how kids that believe intelligence is fixed will feel stupid and quit or freak out when they have to actually put some effort in. It was like that with me, I guess. I was totally unprepared for college.

Ok,

/long rambling thread

I'd like to hear about how college was for you and your thoughts on the value of an advanced degree (a degree I have no plans to use for a job at this moment.)

Last edited by islandofapples; 08/05/11 01:11 PM.