Originally Posted by kathleen'smum
I have two undergrad degrees. The first I did when I was in my 'doctor' phase, as well. It was an advanced major in biology with a minor in physics. I met my husband towards the end of it and had a complete change of heart about my career goal. I wanted a job that would enable me to be a part-time stay-at-home-mom, not a job that consumed my life! My second undergrad was in nursing and, while I didn't really enjoy parts of it, it lead to a great job. I took 10 years to learn, grow and excel at my job before seriously considering the return to school. I did my masters with a job in mind (nurse practitioner). It was imperative that I had a goal, because school with two small kids is no walk in the park!

I agree with what has been stated above... a graduate degree should be undertaken with a career or job in mind. It requires an undergrad beforehand, and I can attest to the benefit of taking your time and figuring out what your goal is before beginning studies.

I really enjoyed my masters program. Can't even compare it to the impersonal, cattle-through-the-gate experience with my first degree or the more-is-better philosophy of my nursing undergrad. The classes were small and the professors took a vested interest in their students.

Good luck with your studies!! I am taking at least 10 years before I revisit the idea of a PhD. My husband was yelling "Uncle!" by the end of my program and my kids were fed up. I can't do it to them right away.

Wanting to be home with my kid(s) is definitely influencing my decisions, too. How did you like being a nurse? I looked into that, too, but I thought I'd go nuts if I had to defer to the a doctor all the time. (I know my perception of things might be horribly wrong, but I spent all this time reading about being a nurse, looking at nursing forums, etc., and so many nurses were complaining about working under certain types of doctors.) My goal would've been to be a nurse practitioner as well.

I like these descriptions lol "Can't even compare it to the impersonal, cattle-through-the-gate experience with my first degree or the more-is-better philosophy of my nursing undergrad."
It is good to know a graduate program might be completely different.

My DH got out of the military and is working full time while also trying to finish up his degree. I know I need to wait until he is finished to start any classes again. We both dream of making enough while working from home someday so we can both stay home with our kids / homeschool / travel etc.

Last edited by islandofapples; 08/05/11 04:47 PM.