Hi islandofapples,

Have you considered teaching history (or biology) in high school? Job demand is not very high right now - it would depend on your locality - but it might be a good combination of your interests and the family-friendly schedule.

My B.S. was in Economics. I started a PhD program in Econ, but then had a change of heart and decided to go back to get a B.S. in Math. One semester shy of getting the B.S. I was offered a good job as an actuary and took it, did that for about 4 years, then quit to stay home with my kids. Now that they are in school full-time, I'm getting an M.Ed. in secondary math. Even though I didn't have my full math degree, the B.S. in Econ plus a lot of math coursework allowed me to be admitted to my program with only one undergrad math class to take.

A few of my classmates have graduate assistantships so that they get stipends to go to school. For me, it is a 15-month full-time program. If you're at all interested, consider that History and English are the most saturated markets, while Science and Math teachers are generally much more in demand.

I second the notion that graduate degrees should only be begun with an endpoint in mind. Think about what you really would like to do in the future, make a good plan, and go from there!