DeeDee, I asked my DD if she would be willing to try going to a CBT and she said "we can't afford that". Then she promised to write for an hour a day from now til school starts. So maybe the threat of actually getting help is sufficient motivation to push herself without getting help? Is that reverse psychology, ODD pr what - lol?

I do plan to seek out the school counselor in person when we drop DD off next month and try to build enough of a rapport that DD will feel comfortable going to her for help if/when things get overwhelming. Maybe she will be able to suggest someone (a CBT)in town if it looks necessary, but I just don't see my DD wanting to go out of her way to seek help from a stranger in a strange town unless there was some imminent threat of something worse happening(like getting expelled).

Aculady - THANKS!!! It sounds like your son is very similar and it is helpful to know that having a Disorder of Written Expression does not preclude the ability to write (type) well under some conditions. I now have useful new words to google for clues and answers :-). Those are some very helpful suggestions and The PerdueOwl site has more great advice. I think I will take advantage of DD's new commitment to one hour of writing a day and try to use some of these strategies.

Knute, I actually have that book, I bought it before we had the ADD and ASD dx and I haven't looked at it since. I am going back to re-read it now. I did buy a small recorder which was/is helpful. I bought the Dragon II naturally speaking software too, but DD became too frustrated with it to finish setting up. I think I'll see if she can muster the patience to set it up now that she has the ADD meds.