Originally Posted by Nik
I don't think we have enough time to find a CBT that she jives with quickly enough to make a difference before school starts(she takes a while to get comfortable enough to open up to new people).

Can you find one at or near the college that she could see while she's there? This is likely to be an ongoing issue until you resolve it. I don't foresee a quick fix.

Originally Posted by Nik
I would love to find a book that outlines what a CBT would do or say to help someone work through writing hang ups if they are in fact just psychological.

With AS and ADHD, she has likely fairly severe executive function issues: they aren't "just" psychological (and I don't think psychological is "just"-- can be debilitating). I don't know that reading about it will do much toward fixing it-- the book Smart but Scattered is highly recommended for bright people who have trouble with executive function, but what a CBT would do is likely much more tailored to her specific needs.

Originally Posted by Nik
I contacted the disabilities office at the college and I sent them the full diagnostic report, but I came away feeling a little silly because I really didn't know what specifically to ask for. They have writing tutors available and they have free counselors who will do calendar checks if a student wants them to.

I think you should describe for them the problems as clearly as you can (including the severity you have seen) and ask them what supports they would recommend to address these problems. They may note that it's partly out of their league, or be able to refer you to a therapist on or off campus who (in addition to their supports) will be enough.

Originally Posted by Nik
I know my DD is capable of writing well, I have seen several great poems, songs and essays she has written over the years. She has no trouble reading or spelling and does extremely well on English tests that don't require actually producing an essay. I am thinking that rules out most of the LDs that are typically associated with writing trouble.

It is classic in ADHD and AS (both featuring executive function issues) that a person who is capable still doesn't manage to deliver the result.

It may make sense to pursue a further evaluation for "disorder of written expression" (dysgraphia); but the people who treat my DS's AS through behavior therapy did a fine job of remediating his writing issues. He's now operating at grade level (not far above, as his IQ would suggest he should, but I'll take it for now.)

The advantage of treating it through behavior therapy is that they are also equipped to target anxiety or other things that are limiting your DD. An OT who works on writing is equipped for the mechanics of writing, but not necessarily for the behavior issues that arise with AS and ADHD.

Best wishes,
DeeDee