Thanks for the suggestions. DeeDee, I don't think we have enough time to find a CBT that she jives with quickly enough to make a difference before school starts(she takes a while to get comfortable enough to open up to new people). She would read a book on the issue though, if we knew what the issue was, but so far nothing seems to fit quite like the books indicate. I would love to find a book that outlines what a CBT would do or say to help someone work through writing hang ups if they are in fact just psychological.

I contacted the disabilities office at the college and I sent them the full diagnostic report, but I came away feeling a little silly because I really didn't know what specifically to ask for. They have writing tutors available and they have free counselors who will do calendar checks if a student wants them to.

I know my DD is capable of writing well, I have seen several great poems, songs and essays she has written over the years. She has no trouble reading or spelling and does extremely well on English tests that don't require actually producing an essay. I am thinking that rules out most of the LDs that are typically associated with writing trouble.

K's mum, I am ordering the book, thanks! We just had a full neuro-psychological evaluation in February, and they knew we were looking for answers to the writing hang-up but they said nothing about the possibility of Dysgraphia, does that mean it was ruled out? I just googled it and DD has many of the traits on the list:

* Tight, awkward pencil grip and body position
* Illegible handwriting
* Avoiding writing or drawing tasks
* Tiring quickly while writing
* Saying words out loud while writing
* Unfinished or omitted words in sentences
* Difficulty organizing thoughts on paper
* Difficulty with syntax structure and grammar
* Large gap between written ideas and understanding demonstrated through speech.

The diagnostician did say that my DD froze up when it came time for the writing part of the IQ test, but after verbally discussing the writing prompt with her, it was clear that she had all the information to respond to the prompt and could produce a good verbal response, but that the essay was not as complete as the verbal response. The diagnostician felt this disconnect was indicative of ADHD.

Jen, thanks, we did most of those things through the years, journals, diaries, cute stationary etc, she was never interested.
Re; the writing corner...recently the big problem was getting her college application essay done. On the way home from visiting the school, she enthusiastically verbalized everything that she was going to write about and it was fabulous, but then...nothing. I turned the extra bedroom into a clean, quiet, calm and inviting office with minimal distractions. I included all the necessary supplies and several seating options: a desk and chair, a comfy reading chair and a futon, I even made a "do not disturb" sign for the door....still nothing. She finally wrote the essay 2 months later in one 1/2 hour sitting, late at night, in the disastrous mine-field of a mess he calls her bedroom with rock music blasting(!). The resulting essay was pretty darn good...just 2 months behind schedule.