Originally Posted by Cricket2
I also stand by my statement that I would not want her in a position where the best she could achieve with her full effort is high average. I want her in a spot where she has to work to achieve highly (all As if that's what she wants -- and she does -- and upper 90s on achievement tests if that's what she wants -- and she does). Pre-skip she was getting straight As by writing papers in the car on the way to school and winding up in the 99th percentile of everything for just showing up on test day. While she's still in the 99th in a lot of areas, she has to put in a little work at least to be there. And, in some areas, she has to put in a pretty good amount of work to maintain in the accelerated class (math).

I'm with you Cricket. I wouldn't want my kid to skip into a grade where he had to struggle to understand most of what is being taught. It would be nice if there were no grading systems at all, but rather the kids are just taught new things at their readiness level. In early elementary, where my kid is, there are no real grades, so it doesn't really matter (it's "meets" or "exceeds expectations," or "needs to work" on something). I don't think we would have chosen to skip our child if most everything was going to be a challenge - that would not be his readiness level. We want him to be able to "learn how to learn" - meaning he doesn't already know everything being taught, and he has a safe place to fail so he can learn to persevere. When my kid does get a grade when grades matter, I would be happier with a hard-earned B than an easy A, but I would expect As and Bs.