Originally Posted by jack'smom
Unfortunately, although these anecdotes are interesting, it doesn't answer the question- what percentage of grade skippers have an outcome like that?
I think that A Nation Deceived is going to be the closest you're going to get to research on the long term outcomes for accelerated students that is actual research and not anecdotes. I also haven't seen any research (not anecdotes) that shows that many or most accelerated students develop ADD (which isn't caused by environment or stress, FWIW) or wind up not in the top 10% of their high school graduating classes.

My only anecdotes would be a child of about the same age as Dottie's ds who started as the youngest in grade and skipped one grade. Thus far (entering high school in the fall), she's been a straight A student in the top 1-2% of her class throughout middle school and my grandmother who started even younger than dd12 and skipped two grades. That was a long time ago but she, too, did very well and graduated as one of the top students in her NY high school graduating class.

That is not to say that all gifted kids or even all PG kids need the same thing. As many others have said, it depends on so much more than the IQ scores and the choice you make today isn't set in stone for tomorrow.

OT: Dottie, we shall miss you! Who else will crunch our numbers for us?