Originally Posted by jack'smom
Unfortunately, although these anecdotes are interesting, it doesn't answer the question- what percentage of grade skippers have an outcome like that?

Does a really late skip count? I don't claim to be PG, but I was the youngest in my class with a late sumer bday, and I skipped my senior year of high school to go to full-time college, dual enrollment without taking any classes at the high school. Until I got to college, school was a boring waste of time for me for the most part, and if I had ever heard of grade skipping back then, I would have found a way to do it. I was one of the top students before my senior year, and remained in the top upon graduation. I also had some ridiculously high weighted GPA with all the college classes on my transcript.

Depending on how you look at it, I'm either a GT kid who never skipped a grade, or possibly one who skipped one really late....but either way, in retrospect I wish I had skipped a grade or two in early elementary.

ETA: I guess my point is that even a not PG kid can sometimes benefit from a grade skip. As some wise person on this board has pointed out before, the Iowa Acceleration Scale was not written with PG kids in mind, it was written based on the fact that various forms of acceleration are beneficial to all GT kids. I still agree that grade skips will depend on the kid, no matter what flavor of gifted, but you don't need to be PG to benefit from a grade skip depending on the situation.

ETA - Dottie leaving! The horror!!!! We will all miss you and your insightful comments very much.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 07/20/11 05:04 PM.