Ditto Dottie, and my son most likely has CAPD, but we haven't had him evaluated, because we realized we were already doing everything we would do should he get the official label.

Perplexed,
My son just graduated from a school specializing in teaching bright students with learning disabilities. He started at grade 3, he is now a rising freshman. The school was life changing for him and for our entire family - especially me, the keeper of our children's education and their main advocate. We actually were able to secure an out of district placement from our school district, which means they paid for the $40K tuition and transportation back and forth (40 miles away). I'm not sure where you are in the special ed process, but this is something to consider. I'd be happy to provide you more information on this should you decide to pursue an OOD placement.

There are many many benefits to a private LD school. First and foremost, specialized schools know how to teach kids with disabilities. They have the luxury of "grouping" them by learning profile/skill level. So 2-E kids can be together. For example, my son has excellent comprehension skills, is very bright, but is an extremely poor decoder and slow processor. He was placed in a class of similar 8th graders. The overall environment is tailored to the student - daily remedial tutoring was built into my son's schedule and he had 3 language arts periods per day = with no pull outs. What's more - the History teacher also used the content area to teach reading, writing and public teaching skills. So, he received a large amount of instruction, and had the opportunity to apply and generalize the skills across content areas. The school was able to teach him organizational and other compensatory strategies - and these strategies were integrated into every subject area. Every teacher used the same system, same language, same processes - so he was able to apply and over learn the strategies and master them. AND he was still able to enjoy electives - art, music, gym, outward bound - because his remediation was built into his schedule. He wasn't forced to choose between tutoring and art.

The school you are looking at may be similar, and if so, you will feel so grateful.

I'm glad that you got the answers you were looking forward AND you have a plan to address the issues. Best of luck!