UPDATE!

So, the neuropsychologist returned from her conference and was able to take a look at DS9's file and test results. She called me last evening. This is how the conversation went:

Dr.: I talked with XXX at the dyslexia school about stealth dyslexia. That really is just a term coined to describe gifted children with dyslexia. You know, I've already diagnosed DS9 with dyslexia and he is gifted, so yes, I would say he has stealth dyslexia.

Me: YOU'VE ALREADY DIAGNOSED DS9 WITH DYSLEXIA???????????????????

Dr.: Yes, that's what "reading disorder" means on his diagnosis list.

Me: Really? Well, it sure would have been nice to know that "dyslexia" is what you meant my "reading disorder".

Anyway, she is sending all of DS9's testing (the actual work, not just the results) over to the head of the dyslexia school for her to review. She said that the dyslexia school might be a good place for DS9 next year. (Another piece of information it would have been nice to have when she gave us the results of his evaluation).

I spent a little time researching the school and it does sound like it might be a good fit. The teacher to student ratio is 4:1. The following information is from their website:

* A typical day�s schedule is much like a school day in traditional schools except for the heavy emphasis on language skills. Students have a challenging and enriching curriculum which includes science, social studies, physical education and the arts.
* In addition, children have individual language tutoring each day.
* Science, math, and social studies rely less on textbooks and involve more hands-on, experimental and project-oriented work than traditional schools.
* The emphasis will be placed on concepts and ideas rather than on memorization.

* Each child has a plan reached through consultation with teachers, parents and students. The plan charts the child�s educational path and sets goals that will be monitored and reported in regular, quarterly reports to the parents.
* Each child receives specific language evaluations at the beginning and end of each school year to determine the child�s needs and progress.
* Assessment in subjects relies on methods such as oral reporting, audio recording of answers, group projects and collaborative reports, as well as written tests. It is our intention to give students the opportunity to show what they can do.

All of this sounds wonderful to me. And while they are not a gifted school, I feel like the low teacher to student ratio and the individualized approach they take in developing each child's educational plan will allow them to accelerate where needed.

The director of the school is supposed to call me after she goes through DS9's testing to let me know if she thinks he needs more testing or if she thinks it is worth exploring whether he is a good fit for the school.

This journey never stops, does it?