I think you just worry as a parent-no specific concerns, just the normal thoughts on social issues and whether he'll be academically ready. The school has not been very supportive in the past so this is kind of shocking. I think it speaks volumes about the teacher's support and old GT coordinator's support for him moving up. He would be moving up to 6th grade in the same building. They were willing to consider moving him up just having him take and do well on end of year assessments for the next grade but we insisted on IQ and Achievement testing, and yes, they were supportive of doing that. In our state there are no gifted education programs and no mandates. It is grade skip or begging each teacher year to year to provide enrichment, which has sometimes been successful and sometimes not...

He is quite happy in his current grade but spends hours each day reading while others are being taught or working on class work. The teacher works hard to enrich him when the time allows but often he entertains himself. He is all for a grade skip because as he said "I'll still get to see my old friends because they will be in the same building BUT I'll learn "something", which made me laugh and cring at the same time!! I worry that if we don't do this he won't be challenged and will never work hard and that boredom will bring behavioral problems. He also has ADHD, which is well treated. The last thing you want is a bright kid who has ADHD who is bored! We meet next week with the school, when all of the testing has been completed.