Originally Posted by aculady
Verona,

Activities that help children improve proprioceptive processing and sensory integration can help with some forms of low tone.

Here is a link that has some good activities that help improve proprioceptive processing for younger children. The proprioception activities are about halfway down the page.

Dynamic movement orthoses, Therasuits, Kinesio tape, and other techniques for increasing proprioceptive input can be used over time to help improve low tone.

Generally, repetitive stimulation that helps increase the level of proprioceptive input can help train the brain to perceive and respond to small changes in muscle length and eventually help decrease the degree of the low tone, if it is due to a processing problem.

HTH

Thanks Aculady. I can't get your link to work though -- could you post it again? And thanks to PassthePotatos for the input about exercises for hypotonia as well. We haven't done much for proprioceptive input, except he was wearing a weighted glove for writing for a while, so maybe I should look into this more.

My DS (almost 7) has had issues with hypotonia, balance and co-ordination since he was a baby. He now has a dx of motor dyspraxia , into which they bundle all these issues. They consider his hypotonia to be mild to moderate. We have looked into other possible causes of the low tone, since many of the professionals we saw didn't see him as a "classic" dysrpraxic and thought there might be something else going on. So far, nothing has shown up. He is making good progress with increasing his endurance and amazingly learned how to ride a two wheel bike this spring (yay!).