My son was like that at 4 1/2 to around 8. At 4 1/2 I decided to enroll him in a musical theater class and his first musical was Babes in Arms. It was a little embarrassing to hear him singing "That's why the lady is a tramp" while waiting to pay for our groceries. He was a happy kid and the happier he was the more he sang.

He never went to daycare or preschool. He was with me all day long, but I enjoyed it most of the time although I did get tired sometimes, but the tiredness was nothing like I am dealing with now. I didn't realize how good I had it.

In kindergarten he sang in the bathroom and had to be reminded to be quiet because people could hear him outside. He just sang without thinking. I have noticed several other young kids in the musical theater group doing the same thing and it always makes me smile when I remember those days. I miss them. My son is almost 13 now.

I recently found a video of my son at almost 5 when he was rehearsing with the rest of his group and he was constantly bouncing around and fidgeting like he couldn't stand still and I knew it had to be before we discovered his problem with Red Dye #40. He also had some sensory issues but no real behavioral problems. At seven a doctor said some people might think he has ADHD but he doesn't.

At home my son used to follow me to the bathroom and talk to me outside the door. He just loved to talk. When my husband was at work I was the only one for him to talk to.

We found that computer games and video games were the only things that would keep him busy and give me a little bit of time to do other things, for a little while anyway, but when he saw me he always had to tell me what he had been doing on the games and what he had learned and how nice it would be if I would play with him, etc.

My son is so different now and all it took was getting older. He is so calm and seems so mature. People guess that he is older than he is. New people in his musical theater group and at his homeschool co-op describe him as shy and he is now, especially around girls.

His creativity shows up more in his writing now where he uses his wit and humor. He still sings and acts and gets lead roles. He liked to do different accents when he was younger and is very good at doing them now. He can do some really good imitations now.