I would like him to be comfortable thinking about anything he's ready to think about, and if I can give him coping strategies to enable that, so much the better.

But how do you know what they're ready to think about? Not sure what you mean by that phrase.

I also believe in letting him see or read anything he likes, within reason, because I want him to develop as he likes.

Reading is one thing and seeing is another, in my opinion. Visual stimuli can be so overwhelming, and in my experience the brain can sometimes really perseverate on disturbing images. There's also the question of...well, how does one define "within reason"? I'm sure I don't know.

Part of my thought process is that one may actually make an anxiety problem worse by supporting it, like keeping a knee brace on too long after an injury may weaken the joint.

Yes, I do understand what you mean here. One doesn't want to wrap the child in cotton wool so much that the child ends up unable to function, or believes herself weak. We are slowly allowing tenser and more frightening material to reach DD. And even with shielding, the world is full of unexpected pain and sadness that I cannot protect her from, as we learn constantly.

In general, though, I guess I want to respect and honor her strong reactions to the sadness and pain of the world, not desensitize her such that she no longer is bothered. I do believe her intense feelings may well guide her life choices, and as a family, that is in line with the way we live.

Appreciate the civil conversation. smile