Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I have not observed much flexibility in the school system. Few MA public schools have gifted programs or guidelines for whole grade or subject acceleration, so I don't see many alternatives to starting gifted children in KG early. Typically one needs to keep them in a private school through grade 1 before transitioning to public school.

I really don't understand the lack of flexibility/one-size-fits-all approach in so many schools, whether the issue is when to start, time needed to master material, or skipping a grade/staying back. Everything else in the world is "sized": cars, clothes, shoes, houses, pens, crayons, everything. Why is school different?

To me, the US public school system (and some private schools, to be fair) is less about learning environments and more about applying industrial methods to education.

Oh well.

As for the gift of time, my kids will get it when they graduate: for example, the eldest will finish school at 16 and will have two years to use as he pleases (within reason). Internships, community college classes, sports, a p/t job, etc. etc. Sounds great to me. Why would educators be so against something like this?

Val

mom123 #94941 02/17/11 12:20 PM
    Originally Posted by mom123
    It is not like I am hurling her towards her grave a year early. I think preschools use that line to get the "gift of another year of tuition".
    Good one mom123! There is that too.
    Very interesting article. I wonder if it isn't too idealistic.
    And I remember a few years ago, before gas prices shot up so dramatically - folks were saying: "It isn't that I want an SUV, but if everyone else has an SUV, then do you really feel safe on the highway in a compact car?"

I think holding kids back in more upscale neighborhoods has become an 'SUV problem.'
    And my son did have the worst year in 2nd grade when they put him in a classroom with a lot of 'boys who were good at reading.' Sure enough there still weren't at his reading level, but they were a full year older, and much more 'pencil ready' and 'behavior ready.' I resent that the whole thing was a secret, and DH and I kept hearing that DS's behavior was 'immature' compared to the other boys.

I have a lot of sympathy for parents who want to protect their child from that!
    I just wish there was magic dust that one could rub on kids to get rid of asynchronous development. I think that maybe 'Nurtured Heart Approach' might be part of that magic dust - older siblings are a big help - shorter workweeks for moms? - maybe meditation?...I'll be searching for a long time I guess. I'll bet a dollar that incoming kindy classrooms have more bouncy kids than ever.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #94942 02/17/11 12:32 PM
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I just wish there was magic dust that one could rub on kids to get rid of asynchronous development.

Oh my! But wouldn't we all end up being dull? smile I know it's a pain, but I prefer the quirks.

Val #94943 02/17/11 12:37 PM
    Originally Posted by article
    Academic effects
    The classic review of the literature
    by Shepard and Smith (1986)
    indicates that although the oldest children in a class on average are
    more successful than their younger peers in the first few grades (in first grade by about 7�8 percentile points), these differences are of
    little practical significance and usually disappear by grade three.
    Most of the differences are almost entirely attributable to children who fall below the 25th percentile in ability. That is, it seems that the combination of young age and low ability has negative consequences for achievement.

So THAT's where the 'all even out by 3rd grade comment comes from!!!!
    Now I can sleep at night. AH
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    CFK #94949 02/17/11 02:22 PM
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by CFK
    [quote=Val]I'm not sure why parents of very gifted/very accelerated children would think that their child will be willing to stop their academic progression just because high school ends. I don't know if it's kind of a delusion because maybe it's scary to think of young children in college. In my experience, the appetite for learning only increases over the years. ... Who would want to stop and do something else for two years?

Hmm. I don't think I'm delusional. This may be more of a one-size-doesn't-fit all thing.

My kids don't really fit the academics-focused profile of a lot of the kids described here, in that they have high-intensity interests that go way beyond academics (e.g. sports, travel, doing stuff that's productive and/or creative). The idea of, for example, a marine biology internship involving scuba diving or snorkeling on a French-speaking Caribbean island would be heaven to my eldest. Why pick more homework over that? I've talked about the two-year gap with him, and he seems to be quite intrigued by the possibilities.

To me, the idea of rushing to college seems odd. Why do that when the world is there waiting to be explored? But that's just one person's approach to life. YMMV and to each his own. If the kid is desperate to go to college, no problem. We'll work something out. But I doubt it. smile

Last edited by Val; 02/17/11 02:37 PM. Reason: Clarity
    W
    W
    I agree with CFK. After 2 grade skips, I was ready to go to college and figured out how young I would be after med school, if I did undergrad and med school in 5 years (an option) and then residency.

I think a child does get caught up in the acceleration and learning curve and doesn't take that year off. Though I am contradicted by all those young sailors trying to be the youngest going around the globe. Though I do recall many were doing their studies online.

In NYC, even if you are in an accelerated program, you end up going to the same high school as other kids can get into. Although those are the highest scoring kids. But some of those kids actually come from gen ed. That high school is 31 on the US news list, but 2 for National Merit Scholars (thanks to someone for pointing that out as a comparison tool) is considered a top school for recruiting by Harvard and Yale.

At the end of the day, your kid, if not homeschooled goes to this high school, with age peers, and takes AP courses. Now, some kids actually leave this high school at 15 or 16 (as noted recently for a kid who left early to go to Harvard. But generally kids leave on time.

Gift of time. Not sure what that really means, but I know my fall birthday kid would have been really bored if I red-shirted her. Not allowed in NYC.

What would I have gained from gift of time? Intense boredom and probably would have gotten into much more trouble than I did. With an acceleration track, I pretty much had friends who acccelerated, and even though we partied through high school, we were also athletic, competed, were serious about being top in class and survived.

I think that being accelerated, there is an acknowledgement that you are smart and having top grades is part of who you are.

Ren

OP Offline
    Wow, everyone has lots to say on this one, very interesting.
    I guess whether or not dd is graduating at 16, or taking 3rd grade twice, I do know for sure that this year in K has been great for her, and she would have been very bored in preschool again. So, one year, one month at a time! laugh

Last edited by chris1234; 02/17/11 02:41 PM. Reason: goofiness
    CFK #94957 02/17/11 03:45 PM
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by CFK
    If you are going to grade skip in elementary than you should keep it in the back of your mind that you may very well be looking at early college entrance.

Good point.

Originally Posted by CFK
    I'm just talking about following the natural progression once grade skipping has begun.

Doing this comes naturally for some people, but that doesn't mean that going to college three months after graduating from high school is an archetype. I went straight to college; my husband didn't. I took two years off after an A.B. and then went for higher degrees. These steps were his natural and my natural. There is no single "natural progression." smile

Originally Posted by CFK
    Most of the kids I know that have skipped grades did so because they were not able or willing to abide by the slowness/lack of learning/inability to learn at learn at their own pace and level/etc. That attitude doesn't change just because they finish high school level.

My kids skipped grades because they had already learned what was on offer in, say, kindergarten or third grade. But that doesn't mean that they can't get engaged in non-academic things. All of us in my family can get very intense about things outside an academic or cognitive-based environment. We don't feel a "lack of learning" in these situations. Obviously, others are different.

As an example of contrast, many of the kids described here thrive on summer schools and/or summer academics. Someone in my family was this way as a kid, and it was great. My kids prefer day camps that involve lots of running around, trips to the pool, and arts & crafts in the summer. Ditto for sleepaway camp for the eldest. No one gets bored or in trouble. It's just how we all are.

Val #94963 02/17/11 04:45 PM
    We had a different idea of "gift of time" given to us by the psychologist who tested our son when we were wondering about early entrance to K. She said, "Let him play at home another year, and you parents take a break for a year - you'll have lots of advocating to do throughout his school career." It was good advice after just learning our kid was PG, and we used the time to read everything we could and plan what worked best for our kiddo at that time.

We ended up having DS7 skip 1st grade, so really with these kids, like others have said, when the gift of time occurs can shift throughout their schooling, depending on many factors.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    We had a different idea of "gift of time" given to us by the psychologist who tested our son when we were wondering about early entrance to K. She said, "Let him play at home another year, and you parents take a break for a year - you'll have lots of advocating to do throughout his school career." It was good advice after just learning our kid was PG, and we used the time to read everything we could and plan what worked best for our kiddo at that time.

We ended up having DS7 skip 1st grade, so really with these kids, like others have said, when the gift of time occurs can shift throughout their schooling, depending on many factors.

Yes, I totally agree. For us, DS6 never did well in a 3yo program and we pulled him out and didn't have him in another program until 4. Even then just a few hours a week. It worked well for us. Then he skipped K and started first. I am glad we did it that way, and it was nice to have a year that was fairly worry free. He still did tons of academic stuff on his own that year, but it just wasn't in school.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM