Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 109 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by Jedsmum
    "From all the reading I have done in the last few days the message I'm getting is that they should be at their academic level with accomodations for their disability and not the other way around,"
    That's the same thing I keep reading, which makes sense if you think about it.
    There's a mother here who has mentioned her son's dyspraxia recently. �Hopefully she'll see this thread and offer some personal suggestions. �Besides that here's the Database link. �I just looked it up. �They did all that work compiling resources and they know what they're talking about.� http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10571.aspx.

I keep seeing a post about a 2e newsletter. �That should be some cheer and wisdom sent right to your inbox. �
    I'm sorry to hear that you first trusted someone who dropped the ball. �I'm glad you found when you did. �definitely definitely talk through the advocacy process here. �It's not just venting, it's brainstorming. �You just never know what someone may help you with, and you don't know who you're helping by sharing your story. �
    And now that you say it that way, I looked up dyspraxia. �It's a physical disease. �What is the lady suggesting, that you send him back to kindergarten so he can practice writing enough like education is going to cure a medical condition?

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Aculady,

You pretty much nailed my argument!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    J
    Jedsmum Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    �And now that you say it that way, I looked up dyspraxia. �It's a physical disease. �What is the lady suggesting, that you send him back to kindergarten so he can practice writing enough like education is going to cure a medical condition?

lol - that raised a smile. I guess I'm just going to have to educate the educator, I'm sure there are plenty here that have had to do that. In fairness to her she probably doesn't have a clue about it but unlike many I'm betting when I ask her what she knows about it she will not have bothered to even google it. Like you when I was given the term the first thing I did was get online and into the library and try to find as much as I could but somehow I don't think she has much interest in my child to find out. (note to me: I must find out why she does relief teaching and doesn't have her own class).

Thanks for the link - interesting reading - doing way too much of that at the moment, I think my brain is getting close to burnout smile

J
    Jedsmum Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi all - thanks for the words of support and encouragement.

Well I did say I would come back with my observations of the OT session. I found some things totally baffling and interesting at the same time and some comments she made have made me look at things differently since. Here goes, pour the wine, grab the chocolate:

First exercise was to take small rounded top pegs from a very small plastic container and place them in a board. First with the right hand then with the left. Although he was slightly faster with the right hand he was a lot more awkward, twisting his body and moving his arm out to get the pegs in the holes. He is right handed but his movements with his left looked much more 'natural'. We both picked up on this.

Second exercise was copying down some writing, copying shapes, drawing within 2 narrow lines and cutting out a circle. Although his writing wasn't too bad he talked all the way through about how bad he was at writing/drawing and how hard he was finding it. The scissor exercise was ok. Her comments at the end were that he was clearly upset by the exercises and wanted to do them well but knew he couldn't and also she found it interesting that a right handed person would normaly draw lines/shapes left to right and he did the opposite. And the end of this he was also desperate to move and wanted to know when he could do the gym stuff.

The next set really freaked me out. She sat him facing her hands on lap and said you need to copy exactly what I do, pretend you are my mirror so if I move this hand (right) you move this (touched his left). She then carried out a sequence of events touching ears, nose, shoulder etc and then some clapping routines - no matter what the routine, which hand she started with, wether it was simple of complicated he would watch her, pause and start with the opposite hand to the one he should have, every time without fail. As she said later, it was actually more complicated for him to do that and he didn't miss a beat just did it opposite. ??

The next stage was walking a line and balancing, hopping and jumping which he actually did pretty well on. Then came the ball catching/throwing bit... well lets just say its just as well we are not in America as he is not going to make the little league any time soon.

We had a break and she called me in to go over her observations. Apart from pointing out the things I've already mentioned she asked about his ability to get dressed, brush his teeth, tie shoe-laces etc. How clumsy he is and problems with his speech. Funny how now she has mentioned these things I'm 'seeing' more than I did before, probably because those things have always been part of who he is to us.

At swimming today he tried to put his swimming shorts on over his clothes and now I think about it he does that sort of thing all the time, a few days ago he came into breakfast ready for school with his shorts missing! I still have to brush his teeth despite lots of practice, (I admit I hate sending him off to school with his blue T-Shirt covered in white blobs). Drinks come in cartons or we have to closely monitor before they end up on the floor, drinks a lot of water because it won't stain smile Always in trouble for breaking things (glass candle holder last night (practicing his head stands on the sofa) "sorry mum it was just an accident" - going to put that one on his headstone if I outlive him, which with his accident rate....

Always bumping into people - watched a great game of tag yesterday at school, his teacher did well, set him off to chase first before he ran out of puff and the ones that were tagged could be released by someone crawling through their legs so no tantrums for being 'out' - all going really well until he bumped heads with one of the girls so it still ended in tears. One day!

On a lighter note - major success story - he came first in his group for the sack race at the 'fun' sports day today. Got a 'medal'- first award he's ever got and his face was pure delight. (sob - tears of joy). He also did really well in his swimming lessons, no dramas. And .. the ENT Dr reckons he'll get in for another set of grommets in about 6 weeks

Yee Ha - go to bed happy tonight.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets