Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Meow Mindset), 140 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    S
    LOL! My DS has always had the same problem. It was not a comforting thought when I was pg and the doc asked if big heads run in the family!

We used to joke when he was a baby before we knew he was at all gifted (I called him Charlie Brown) that his head must be full of brains. MIL jokes it's a good thing he has a big, hard head cause he bangs it into stuff pretty often! It's better now that he's older, we just get adult size hats.

My husband and son are the big heads in our family. Mine is nice and normal, thank you very much!

DS gets 2 costumes this year...a ninja (my husband's influence) and a knight (made out of cardboard boxes since that is a requirement for his grade in school!)

We are looking forward to the fun smile Nan

DS7 is going to be Harry Potter. He is trying to decide if he's going to wear the sorting hat along with the costume or not. It's so cute, but big. His head is tiny and always has been. He takes after me that way. I have to buy kiddo sized hats.

OP Offline
    Lol! these are hilarious stories, big and small! This reminds me, I got dh a couple of BIG hats from somewhere on the web for xmas...big head caps or some such place. I blame him for the kids' heads, but I rarely fit women's hats, too...

I forgot all about the big head scene in Axe Murderer, thanks for posting!!

Last edited by chris1234; 10/15/10 04:18 PM.
    Originally Posted by cricket3
    At all their early appts, head circum. was about 25%, while their height/weight hovered at 95%.

I like to think that it is not that our heads are small but rather that our brains are VERY compact. Obviously, we have good filing systems (neither of my children have ever plotted above the 10%ile for head circumference).

I also need to add that DD's Anne of Green Gables hat actually falls down over her eyes unless I scrunch up two grocery bags and stuff them under it.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    C
    C
    Too funny.

My kids have big heads too. DS6 as an infant/toddler was always 1.5 cm ABOVE the top of the chart! DD5 started out with a smaller head (being a preemie) but at 6 mos had rapid head growth and then stayed with the bigger than average head.

They certainly don't get it from me!!
    DS could wear MY sunglasses before he was 2 and needed a 5+ bike helmet at 2.

The masks and hats for costumes have never fit him until this year - amazingly his Mario hat actually fits!!

K
    kec Offline
    K
    Count my DS in the big melon club. I have to stop my DH from teasing DS too much - I worry about giving him a complex. He was another one who was in the 10% for height and weight and 95% for head. We have had similar problems with clothes getting stuck.

As for Halloween, this year he is going easy on us. Last year he started out wanting to be a minotaur (yikes - how do you make a minotaur) but settled on a Boomerang Warrior, which is a species from Planet Boomerang, Universe Unknown. It is really challenging trying to make a costume to fit an 8 year olds imaginary creature, but it came out great.

This year he wants to be a dark sorcerer - just need to sew a long black cloak with a hood and we are good to go.

It is great to read the Halloween costume threads to see that my DS is not the only one with way out ideas. He has also been a gecko and a phoenix guarding a crystal. He really stretches my sewing abilities, but I enjoy his creativity (except for the minotaur wink )

L
    L
    I have no idea if DS has a big head - he has such thick hair (the kind the hairdresser just has to just try hacking into) you never really know what's underneath!

These stories are so funny! DH and DS6 both have giant heads. My MIL often tells the story about when the delivering doc saw DH's head, he started to tell MIL about his concerns over the size of it, and then he looked up at MIL's giant head and said, "Oh, never mind."

DS6 has worn the same hat size as me for the past couple of years (avg. size adult). We've almost always made our own Halloween costumes, so the big head hasn't been a problem. Last year, DS was a totem pole, this year he's still undecided. A couple ideas he's thrown out - Perry the Platypus from Phineas and Ferb or a Hex Bug.

S
    S
    LOL, love these stories. DS6 has a giant head as well...always been close to or at 100% in the head dept when measured at doctor appts. DH's hats pretty much fit DS. Neither DH and I have particularly large heads, and DD3 seems quite average. When DS was an infant he got TONS of hats (like 40 or so) and almost none of them fit him because he was so big (plus he was 10lb, 1 oz). He wants to be an astrounaut this year and we were going to order a costume online...but worry about the whole mask part and it not fitting so may have to head to some stores today after some family fun activities. Good times : )

ST pauli - i like the perry the platypus idea...I bet my DS would get into that, he LOVES that shoe. Even dd3 likes it which is quite strange to me.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM