Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    La Texican #82318 08/11/10 05:16 AM
    One of our regional high schools' students consistently place highly in Intel and Seimen's competitions. The top prize a few years ago went to two students who worked over a summer and then the fall term with a major researcher at the prestigious medical school nearby. No doubt, these kids are very talented. They were fortunate to have terrific mentors in the PI of the lab and a graduate student who taught them a great deal. So, while the projects are judged on the students' presentations, it helps tremendously if the students conduct research in a high-power lab with NIH funding and a project already in later stages of development. This particular high school essentially matches interested students with mentors at the university/medical school in town. The facilities available to these kids cannot be matched by doing experiments at home, or even in a lab at school. Sophisticated gene sequencing, PCR, Western blots, etc, are not something you can do in your basement. Occasionally, there are big winners with home-grown projects, but if you look at the top projects, they often are supported by major facilities and grants in medical schools or university-based research labs. That's not to say a home-grown project wouldn't be worthwhile.

My D's teacher at her summer talent search program mentioned the Young Epidemiology Scholars program. It's something to consider, although you have to be in 11th and 12th grade I believe. When I looked at the projects, my impression was that these could be done by students without a lot of equipment or materials. You might want to check into it.

twomoose #82340 08/11/10 10:47 AM
    Austin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by twomoose
    Sophisticated gene sequencing, PCR, Western blots, etc, are not something you can do in your basement.

Au Contraire!! One person's trash is another's treasure!!

I see Thermal Cyclers on EBAY for less than $500. A kid could easily do PCR in their basement.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&...mal+cycler&_sacat=See-All-Categories

A tremendous amount of data is archived and publicly available - you don't need machines to get gene sequences these days. Just download it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/guide/dna-rna/

If there was no grant money, what would people work on? What would be the really interesting questions and how would you get to the answer on the cheap?

You do not need big money to get big results. Just some hard work, imagination, and some support from those who like you or love you.

Austin #82360 08/11/10 01:58 PM
    OK, let me clarify - it's difficult to do intense basic science research properly without the appropriate facilities, and someone to teach you how. Specifically for Intel and Seimen's, the top prizes usually go to students with mentors.

The kids who won the top prize ($50,000) a few years ago in our area got a big write-up in the paper. Their high school has contacts at the medical school and the school found their mentor for them. The kids did a lot of work, and when they went into competition, they didn't have the PI of the lab with them - they had to answer questions on their own - but they had very polished work that was professionally sponsored. They worked every day over a summer, multiple hours, in the lab with the PI and graduate student.That is a huge advantage specifically in these two competitions.

At one time in my life, I was required to do research. I was able to publish a study at the end of my allotted time, and most of my colleagues didn't publish. The major difference was my mentor, who immediately introduced me to the right literature to review so I wasn't lost in a sea of primary sources. It's not so much money that's needed - it's a person to point you in the right direction, to help you ask the questions that are answerable in a certain timeframe and with certain resources, and that is invaluable.

Getting back to Bassettlover's question - I think the YES competition may be an avenue for a student without a "lab". I'm just starting to look into this - we have a number of years before my kids would be eligible - but the projects seem reasonable for a smart kid with fewer resources. Just my observation.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM