Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #66960 01/26/10 09:22 AM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    DS9 was so excited to start Chess Club at school this year and has not been matched up with Challengers for 2 weeks. Chess club only lasts 6 weeks. He is very dissappointed. Here is an opportunity for him to be with some older kids and be challenged. He has been playing Chess for 3-4 years and can beat me.

DS is the smartest kid in his grade and I've been dealing with the school to challenging him, but this teacher doesn't teach him. I said nothing before Chess started thinking the teacher would be challenging the kids in Chess. My son is not one to ask for more challenges or what to get extra attention.

This all brings me back to general school fustrations. I would like for my son to feel comfortable to ask for more. I would like the teachers to look out for opportunities to challenge him. I'm not saying they don't care but something is wrong with this situation. Do I have to supervise everything? I want him to feel more independent. OK thanks for the venting. Can anyone help or is this just the way it is?

I sent the teacher a very brief note. Hopefully she will do something.

Last edited by onthegomom; 01/26/10 09:23 AM.
    B
    B
    Look in your local area for some chess groups. Some are very active and he can play against adults. I know my Dad was in one and played against kids sometimes.

I think this is easy to fix. Find a local chess club. They are often attended by kids and adults of different ages and abilities. You will often see younger and older kids playing against each other as well as adults playing with kids. My kids get to play adults in ours.

Most of the tournaments are ability based and young children are allowed to play with older kids as long as they are up to the challenge.

LMom
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Is there a way they rank players so games are a good challenge?

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Thank you. What a great piece of info you gave me. I will check out the website.

When I looked at the site it says "think like a king" I thought oh no, we already have him thinking a little too much like that. LOL, My son loves to be in charge and the expert.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM