Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 269 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by Mama
    Wow - your son sounds alot like mine! We pulled him from a GA pre-k and have placed him in a private Montessori school due to a very bad experience.

...Ultimately, a severe bite was the icing on the cake at the GA pre-k.

I take it your son bit another kid?

Mr W (25 mos) did this a few times at the homeschool daycare. We talked with him about this. For a few weeks afterwards, when we asked him about school, he would say occasionally, "I bite my friends. I am very bad." We took this as acting out and realized that location was no longer a good fit.

He did it twice when he started Montessori, but has not done it since.

Last edited by Austin; 02/24/10 06:18 AM.
    M
    Mommyj2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Mama,
    So, you've decided to go ahead with the testing? If you've found a school that is willing to work with you, I say stay! The fact he doesn't "dread" school anymore is huge. These little guys have so many years ahead of them...it's so important to start out on the right foot. That's another reason we tested. We didn't want to get to middle school and have to undo the damage of so many mind numbing years. We were afraid he would just shut down.

We are in Dacula and DS9 is goes to the public elementary, good district/good shcool. We had a meeting with the principal, gifted coordinator, counselor, accelerated math teacher, and vice principal right before Christmas. We provided them with our IQ results (which they didn't really want to talk about),and requested some changes due to DS's extreme boredom and unhappiness. They mostly cared about the scores on their standardized tests...Cogat and ITBS, both of which DS scored off the scale. They seemed to understand those results better than the Wisc-IV and Wiat-II. We did get them to switch his teacher after the break, so now he is is a gifted cluster class and in the FOCUS program once a week. He will start accelerated math and reading pull outs next year. It is not enough, but they are trying and we are still considering applying for a grade skip next year.

The testing isn't a magic wand that makes people understand your child, I've realized. His scores will allow him access to DYS, Saturday School at Georgia State, and other enrichment opportunites he would not have had access to if we had not done the testing. As for school, we are doing what we can. He's still bored, the work is uninteresting, and he spends most of his time reading.

Dr. Newman told me recently(we still communicate via email updates) that for HG children most of their enrichment will happen outside of school. That's why all the extracurriculars, he is my "more" child. More hunger, more attention, more sensitive, more active, more affection, more time, more money!

M
    M
    Actually, another kid bit him. The bite was so severe, we could see teeth marks for four solid days. The director said that she had "seen worse." (We had a number of other problems; this was just the catalyst for change.) Also, Mr. W is just over 2; the child who bit him was 4!

M
    M
    Yes, we'll go ahead with the testing. I feel a little nervous as the parent meeting is today! I hope we're doing the right thing. Not just the money (which will mean more debt for us), but maybe I should've chosen someone who is on our insurance? But when I spoke with Dr. Newman, she just seemed to really understand. That in itself is so valuable!

I'm thinking about getting DS involved in piano and singing. He certainly didn't get that from me, but he seems to have an aptitude for music.

We live in Lilburn. The schools here are pretty good, but as you said, he's happy where he's at. I don't really know how we'll manage everything, but hopefully, he'll go to public 1st. He has a late birthday. While this doesn't help him as far as his academic readiness, it does help him with his physical readiness.

I know about the "more" stuff. We've been to Fernbank so many times we've lost count in the last couple of years. My son has always needed constant interaction and attention (even as a baby). When my son was a baby, I remember telling a co-worker who had also recently had a baby that it was so much easier (less tiring) at work than at home. She looked at me funny and said,"really?" At the time, and for a long time afterwards, I thought I must be doing something wrong!

M
    Mommyj2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    I think you will like Dr. Newman when you meet her. It is a big financial step, I know. We looked into other psychs too, but Dr. Newman's name kept popping up...here on the forum, on Hoagie's, and other parents in the area. As you said, having someone who understands in invaluable. She is very good at what she does, and we are so fortunate she is local. She has children who come from all over Atlanta and even some from out of state!

It sounds like you've always known your son is a little bit different, now it's time to get answers. Going through the assessments felt as if I was finally able to put all the crazy pieces of my son together. I hope it will be the same for you.

We looked into Greater Atlanta Christian, Hebron Christian, and Wesleyan, but two are so far away (not to mention extremeley pricey) and the other is not sure what to do with a child like DS. So, we've decided to go the public school route. We are fortunate to be in Georgia though. GA has great gifted funding and they do have the tools in place to accomodate highly gifted children...however, getting them to do it is another story. Advocate, advocate, advocate!

Piano has been great for DS, although I'm not musical either. His brain seems wired for it. He actually plays with his eyes closed...he cracks me up smile

Ditto on your last paragraph! I wonder if it's like that for most parents of GT kids? I went back to college when DS was six months old to relax!

Have a great meeting. It feels wonderful to tell everything to someone who understands.

Originally Posted by Mama
    Actually, another kid bit him. The bite was so severe, we could see teeth marks for four solid days. The director said that she had "seen worse." (We had a number of other problems; this was just the catalyst for change.) Also, Mr. W is just over 2; the child who bit him was 4!

Ouch!!! 4 years?

I can understand how it was the last straw.

V
    V
    I'm lucky I can just blame it on the anounomous sperm dor, Not realy son is just like me.

M
    M
    Well, DH and I saw Dr. Newman yesterday, and you were right! She is awesome! She's going to observe him in his school before meeting with him. She did say, however, that he will need OT for his writing. She took one look at his handwriting and said, "this is not something we can leave alone for a year and it will be fine."

She really put our mind at ease with a lot of things. For example, the perfectionism, fear of failing, etc. She was identifying certain patterns of behavior as being consistent with his personality. As far as existential concerns, she said that it is early for most kids, but "right on time for gifted kids." Of course, she hasn't met DS yet, but I think she will be great with him.

M
    Mommyj2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Yeah! So glad you found a good fit with Dr. Newman. Keep me posted. It's a long journey.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM