Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 255 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    I agree. It is my major motivation for fighting for my children in the schools. If I wasn't able to recognize the ways my talents were wasted as a young child, then I wouldnt be so intent on making sure the same doesnt happen to them... I'd probably even believe the stuff they say about "Gifted kids can succeed in any program and don't need modifications."

J
    J
    Agree. Feel like the first part of my life was completely wasted. I did nothing, it seems. Bored out of my mind. My younger sibling was recognized as being on the bright side, but me, not so much. Just intense and difficult. (sigh) Unrecognized and misunderstood. The "me" was denied.

Our kids have much more opportunities these days. At least we can understand them so much more. smile

Ditto on what everyone else said! Both ds's father and I had similar experiences in school. His father (now deceased) was in a different league (profoundly gifted) in terms of giftedness than me, but we could relate. Neither of us were challenged in school; he daydreamed all day and got in trouble for it, but he still made straight A's in school. When he got to high school, he quit worrying about doing homework because it was pointless and subsequently got B,C grades. I didn't day dram. I talked my head off all day long and was in trouble for that! I made straight A's k-12, did all my work, but didn't have to work at it at all. Once we got to college, my late dh excelled because he was finally challenged and seeked the most challenging courses he could find. He was actually working on his PhD when he died. I, on the other hand, got to college and didn't know how to study or apply myself. I struggled for a bit making mediocre grades but eventually learned to work my way back up to setting higher standards and achieving them. I still feel I've never lived up to my potential though. I pray that I am able to prevent this from happening with my son. It's a struggle as he's more like me than his dad!

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks to everyone who repsonded to this thread. I really appreciate hearing other people relating to this feeling.

We've having some progress on the school front...one school nearby is appearing very willing and flexible to work with us on DD needs.

Of course, it's the most expensive school anywhere near us, but it's a start. smile

M
    M
    Hi Slackenerny,

I'm in NSW. We're at the other end of the the education journey but I'd be happy to share any information with you.

Originally Posted by Slackenerny
    Thanks to everyone who repsonded to this thread. I really appreciate hearing other people relating to this feeling.

We've having some progress on the school front...one school nearby is appearing very willing and flexible to work with us on DD needs.

Of course, it's the most expensive school anywhere near us, but it's a start. smile

Glad you have some options for your DD. It seems like its a long journey and one that we have just begun to embark on ourselves. I'm glad you found your way to these boards, I hope you will stick around. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM