Hi there everyone. This is the first time I�ve posted here.

A bit of background�My wife and I have been aware for a while that our 3 year 10 month old daughter was advanced for her age, she talks and plays like a 5 or 6 year old and naturally gravitates towards older children. We�ve just had her tested on the SB5 with a FSIQ result of 136 which falls in the moderately gifted range (99th percentile). We did this as we�re having a terrible time trying to find a school for her and we wanted a bit more �evidence� so that the principals would take our requests more seriously. We live in a bit of a regional area so there is limited choice available.

Anyway, I�m finding as we think about schools and especially having the testing done, that I�m having waves of grief come over me...nothing to do with my daughter, but for my own childhood. As I began reading the gifted literature, I realized that I had been a gifted child myself�all the pointers and potential problems described my experiences very closely. But I was left to mentally �rot� in sub-standard schools, spent most of the time bored out of my mind, and had a tricky transition starting university as I had never had to apply myself before to achieve and didn�t really know how.

I�m simultaneously excited that DD will have opportunities to extend herself and meet other kids like her so she wont feel isolated, scared that she will have to suffer the social ostracism associated with being intellectually gifted (especially in Australia which culturally has an issue that sort of thing), and sad about my own experiences as a child and the isolation that resulted from being different.

Have any other people had similar experiences or feelings relating to their children being gifted?

Last edited by Slackenerny; 12/08/09 06:01 PM.