Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Meow Mindset), 140 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Our district has a new superintendent. I recently read the district's updated strategic plan and was pleased to see an increased interest in pursuing grant opportunities. I have no experience in this area, but would like to learn, and I have strong research and proofreading skills. I would like to offer my assistance to the district, both for my own strategic purposes and simply to volunteer where I can really make a difference. I was just about to hit "Send" on an email to the new supt., but thought I should ask here first about the appropriateness of going straight to the top.

I have no idea who specifically will be in charge of the grant program, and my proofreading skills are of course not limited to this one area, so if she forwards my email district-wide I may get some takers for something completely different. However, I could also be inadvertently stepping on the toes of every person below her in the hierarchy.

Serendipitously, I read this line from Shakespeare's Henry VI just this morning: "The trust I have is in my innocence, and therefore am I bold and resolute." It reminded me that I have been successful in this district in the past by surging forth despite my ignorance - gathering information not normally shared, avoiding an unhelpful link in the chain of command, etc.

So, in this case, should I proceed boldly, or should I watch my step? How badly could things go wrong if I send my email?

I say send the email. I don't see whose toes you'd be stepping on.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by BonusMom
    Our district has a new superintendent. I was just about to hit "Send" on an email to the new supt., but thought I should ask here first about the appropriateness of going straight to the top.
    Within the walls of our school, I am careful to work with teachers first, and then follow-up with the principal... I'm quite mindful of stepping on toes here.

But at the district level, unless you were complaining about some issue in the school (which should go to the principal first), I can't think of any reason to start elsewhere. (However, it wouldn't hurt to let the principal know in advance -- not so much for permission, but as a courtesy -- just so he's not surprised down the road.)

"... in this case, should I proceed boldly?"
    Given that I am an unabashed Star Trek fan, I'm sure you can guess my answer to that question!

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    ...to boldly go where no one has gone before....

X
    X
    I wrote a couple grant's for our school. I was on the site council at the school so I knew a little about their budget. I mentioned to the principal that I was open to writing some grant's if she wanted me too. She sent a memo around school telling the teachers that if they wanted help writing grants or came across an interesting one to call me.

I would talk with your prinicpal and ask if the district has a grant writer on staff. Mention that you are open to working on some. I would ask that everyone was aware of what you were doing though. The superintendant's secretary had not been aware that I was writing grants on behalf of the school. When I went down to the district office to get the superintendent's signature she made me feel like a renegade mom. mad Telling me that Mr XYZ does not just sign things because a parent brings something to him. I had to go through proper channels. I felt about two feet tall. I tried to explain that the principal asked me to write the grant, showed her the principals signature and left the proposal for her to follow through with. I decided not to write grant's anymore after that.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks, all. I feel a little silly for even questioning it, but I sure don't want to have xoxosmom's experience, either!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs