Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 343 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by newmom21C
    Originally Posted by Sciencemama
    I haven't read the book, but I have to say, after hearing from some bloggers who were Ph.D. students in scientific fields, this is really true and even worse if you are female in your field. It seems that many academic science fields hasn't truly caught up with feminism.

I think the trick is finding a good adviser. The most important advice I'd give any Ph.D in science is really, really, really think about who you want as an adviser before you sign on the dotted line. Talk to other students of theirs, see what kind of jobs they get afterwards, make sure you're interested in their field of interest etc. For the most part I've had a really positive experience in a large part due to my adviser.

In German they refer to the Ph.D adviser as the Doktorvater (doctor father). I think it's pretty much those most accurate description I've ever heard. It really is like a parent/child relationship and as like parenting you can have great parents or abusive parents. However this time around you actually get to choose who you want as a parent!!

That's good to know. I know that I had a mentor at the forensic career I had and it was very much like a Doktorvater situation. I had such a great relationship with him that we still keep in touch even though it's been 10 years since I worked there. I will have to keep this in mind if I ever go get to grad school (which I've been thinking about).

Last edited by Sciencemama; 08/13/09 08:04 AM.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    I don't want to be a jerk either, but it does have some obnoxious appeal to start posting about my 10 y/o starting 7th grade next week...
    So I'm guessing that starting an "Ultimate Brag Thread" @ MDC would be out of the question? (I suspect heads might explode.)

For me, both forums have provided valuable insight and I will be disappointed should we lose one of them.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Originally Posted by Val
    Have you ever read The Trouble with Physics (Lee Smolin)? It's really two books in one. Most of the book is a great discussion about the current state of theoretical physics (TP). He discusses the dominance of string theory and the near-exclusion of other approaches in TP. He argues that progress in TP is being retarded by an unwillingness to allow different approaches.

The last 4-5 chapters are all about sociology and how it contributes to the problems described in the first part of the book. He also touches on the fact that these problems plague many other fields.

I have heard about it and would agree with it.

Many fields are being "socialized," ie subordinated to norms based on social objectives rather than purely objective criteria. In Physics much of the problem is due to the single-payer nature of funding. Once a particular fad captures the funding process, its very hard to break.

Another example is the requirement in most humanities programs to cite "Social Justice" in ones' work. I know an Ivy League professor in Literature who sends me some interesting emails she gets from others in her field. The lockstep conformity is very oppressive.

Fortunately, the internet is breaking up the monopoly on publishing information and gathering of like minds. The funding issue is a big one, still. But the open nature of publishing of data allows for enterprising minds to use the data in ways not intended.

Originally Posted by Floridama
    We go to one of the best schools in our area so I see many of this type of parents. Once they found that my child was in the gifted program they wanted to know what math level she was on and how she scored on testing so they could compare their child's score to mine.

I just smile and say we did good and change the subject. I don't need to know what everyone else scored to be happy about my DD's results.

This is a good point.

Originally Posted by Val
    I may not have been as clear as I could have been: he actually thinks very highly of master craftsmen. The top tier of this group are people who are brilliant at something technical (such as mathematics) and who are able to focus like crazy on an idea and and use their abilities to really really carry it through.

Quite true.

Von Neumann's biographer put Johnny in the Craftsman category. Someone would have the insight and Johnny would make it whole.

Originally Posted by Sciencemama
    I haven't read the book, but I have to say, after hearing from some bloggers who were Ph.D. students in scientific fields, this is really true and even worse if you are female in your field. It seems that many academic science fields hasn't truly caught up with feminism.

Add male misogyny into the mix. If you poke around a bit, you can find that many women who do science blogs will have one or more academic "stalkers" who do really weird things to sabotage them. Add to this the real world colleagues who do the same thing.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Austin
    Add male misogyny into the mix. If you poke around a bit, you can find that many women who do science blogs will have one or more academic "stalkers" who do really weird things to sabotage them. Add to this the real world colleagues who do the same thing.

Lee Smolin touched on sexism, too. He said that it's particularly bad in physics and that as someone who'd sat on hiring committees over the years, he was willing to vouch for some of the nasty things done behind closed doors.

Val

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Austin
    Many fields are being "socialized," ie subordinated to norms based on social objectives rather than purely objective criteria.

I've read about universities ranking scientists and candidates based on the journals their stuff is published in and the types of grants they get. So this could mean (my numbers here) you would get a 10 for a Nature paper and a 0.5 for a paper in, say, the Western Grafton County Journal of Biology. The content is irrelevent: even if the Grafton County paper provides useful information and the Nature paper is later found to be kind of close, but not actually right, it doesn't matter.

I look at this stuff and think, "No wonder people fabricate results."

Plus there's the whole thing about getting along with the senior people....

Painful.

Val

Originally Posted by Val
    I've read about universities ranking scientists and candidates based on the journals their stuff is published in and the types of grants they get. So this could mean (my numbers here) you would get a 10 for a Nature paper and a 0.5 for a paper in, say, the Western Grafton County Journal of Biology. The content is irrelevent: even if the Grafton County paper provides useful information and the Nature paper is later found to be kind of close, but not actually right, it doesn't matter.

This is one of the most significant discoveries - small science, but stunning. And virtually unknown.

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/comets/smallcomets.html

I, myself, have never been to the MDC board but sad to read all that is going on over there. Their lose is our gain: Welcome to all our new members!

This board is great and you don't get all the bickering that you would in the more generic boards, probably because this one specializes in gifted, period. But, I too, have wants and needs to reach out to the general public and have another board I use. Though I am a moderator on that board, I have mixed feeling about it because it has many groups on it including gifted but with the fact that it attracts so many types of people you don't get the deep topics that you find on this board and with that is a guarantee of some hostility of people that stumble on the gifted group. Typically they get a warning about their bashing and if it continues they get kicked from the group. It is one thing to have constructive criticism but another to be attacking someone for the idea of gifted.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM