Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    HI Everyone-

My preschooler is four, going on 14! She rarely engages with kids her own age, and loves to hang out with her older sister and her friends, who are 8-12 years old, as well as our 14 year old family friend. She has no lack of little girls her age to play with, so I keep throwing them together and hoping that something will blossom. DD9 met her BFF when they were both four, and I feel sad that dd4 doesn't have a close friend yet.

"Penelope" loves to sing and dance, she reads "anything" at this point, loves math and history too.

Mr W is 18 mo.

He is fearless once he thinks things through. He is extremely observant of the world around him and has a photographic memory for places and people and music. He is smitten with cars and with the animated movie cars. He is bilingual, understanding and speaking Spanish and English, able to follow multi-step instructions in both. He knows his letters and numbers and can pick out musical artists' styles. His greatest trait is his happy face and wonderful, friendly disposition - he is a shameless flirt and will approach a group of girls in their teens and preen before them. He does throw screaming fits at times, but these last at most, 30 seconds.

Hi all!

After raising my older daughter I remarried and we decided to have two more. These two little gems are who led me to this wonderful forum. DD's are 4 & 6. The 6 yr old I've sent a DYS application to (no answer yet, still bitting nails) She has was I would consider to be a photographic memory and has been full of surprizes since birth, she spent half the year last year in K then went to first, but I fear the skip was not enough, we'll see how this year goes, my 4 yr old will be starting K, by starting her this year I hoping she will not need to skip a grade (yet), only time will tell. These two little beauties keep me on my toes (mentally and physically) smile

I have DD3.5 and DD15mo. DD3.5 is extremely active and must be engaged in an activity at all times or she becomes incredibly naughty. She loves to read and do "homework" (workbooks), loves playing on the computer and she likes to terrorize her little sister. DD3.5 is hilarious and says the funniest things with such a maturity at times that I can't help but smile. ("Actually, Mommy, I need to wear this because . . .") She amazes me everyday and I love to see how her brain works. I cannot wait until she starts pre-school this fall at a really nice private school that does personalized education plans for each child regardless of age.
    DD15 mo. - not much to say here but I think she's headed on the same path as our older DD. Time will tell. She's pretty funny, too.

A
    A
    My name is Kathy. I have ds 7 years. He has been tested gifted and we homeschoolhim. I also have a dd 19 months old. She is showing signs of giftedness but still a little young to be for sure. She can count to 20 and can say her alphabet. She is very verbal and talks in 3-4 word sentences. I expect between now and when she turns 2 she will learn alot (my ds did this too at this age). Since we homeschool she wants to do school like her brother already. So, I have ordered Abeka curriculum for 2 year olds.

M
    M
    Hi! My preschool age child is Chico, who is 4 (my other two sons are Harpo, 8, and Groucho, 6). He is doing "preschool" at home (we homeschool all three boys).

Chico is a darling (says his fond mother), full of smiles and jokes and cuddles; he loves to stump people with riddles and card tricks, and to figure out little tunes on the piano. My favourite thing (at the moment!) is his arrival in our room every morning, when he announces, "it's huggings for grownups time!"--a nice way to start our day!

peace
    minnie

S
    S
    Hello!
    I have a DS who just turned 5 so he isn't technically a preschooler, he is skipping K and starting first grade next month. So I suppose he could still be a preschooler since he hasn't really been in school yet, LOL. He is a great kid. He is a PG kid and is very logical and constantly thinking (and making noises and talking), he is very into Math, boardgames, reading, and making contraptions....and he is a great big brother most of the time.

DD just turned 2. I don't know if she is gifted yet, as she is developing quite different than DS did. But she does know a lot of things and communicates very well. She is quite fun and imaginative, very different than DS in the imagination department. She likes to sing and play games and read books with us.

A
    A
    My DD is 4 starting kindergarten in the fall. She is a handful. Very, very active. Our house is a mess, there are "experiments" and homemade gadgets everywhere (pencils tied to dental floss hanging off doors). I cannot keep keep liquid hand soap because she mixes it up with every substance to see what will happen or pretends it is some type of chemical or medicine. She is a delight but it can be very exhausting. Loves science books and shows. She prefers to be around adults or older children. I am hoping she makes some friends at school this year. Good to know everyone else is out there.

Last edited by alli-cat10; 08/05/09 12:26 PM.
    This reminds me of my daughter who is now heading to seventh grade. I could not keep us in baking soda back then.

She is using this enthusiasm now for the Twilight Saga. It is interesting to see her loving something more mainstream. She draws pictures of it and knows all about vampires and each character. I took her to Forks, WA where this takes place and it was the trip of a lifetime for her.

Having a messy house is a huge part of being gifted. Her experiments now have to deal with making her own lip gloss, but it is essentially the same.

We were going through all her "cats" in her room and she found all their casts and other medical issues they had. We laughed about it. She asked why her cats always had medical problems.

F
    F
    After months of debating we have finally decided to take the plunge into pre-k! My DS still has 2 years before K, but we think he needs some outside stimulation, now.
    I have found a university led preschool that looks like a good fit. 3 1/2days a week, academically focused, & reasonably priced. They only allow 3 and up. We just crossed that line, so most of the kids will be older than him.
    Wish us luck. My head strong DS is sure to give them a run for their money!

Any of ya'll have experience with a university/college based preschool? Advice?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM