Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 311 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #51405 07/28/09 02:24 PM
    O
    oli Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    It would be nice to have a thread where everybody could introduce them selves and their kids. I noticed that there is plenty of us here. So nice to share thought with other parents in similar situations.

I'll come back later when I have more time to add mine.

O
    oli Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Hi, I'm mom of one 2 year old DD . She is very active little girl who would love to spend all day playing outside. DD has always been naturally athletic but I have just come to realize that she also seems to be more advanced than her peers other ways.

I have been surprised to notice how shy she has become, she usually can not even say hello to strangers. I'm anticipating that might become a problem later at school as she hides her academic skills well. Home she is very bossy though. For some reason she is really into excavators and bugs now. I work fulltime and she attends great daycare. Daycare told us that she seems to be more like a leader, definitely not a follower.

B
    bk1 Offline
    B
    Welcome!

I have learned so much here from reading old posts and benefitting from the collective wisdom!

bk

N
    N
    Hi there.

I am a SAHM, and my incredibly fickle DD is 3. Right now, she is reading like crazy, going nuts with the computer, calling anyone she can anytime I let her, taking pictures of random bits of floor and wall. Yes, we need to get out more, but unfortunately she really dislikes the heat, and it is HOT in the summer here. So we're hanging out in the A/C, cooking, puzzling, making art, dancing, and singing. And we get to the beach once or twice a week. smile

C
    C
    Hello! I'm Catherine and I have a newly minted (as of last week) 4 year old son. G is a great kid, funny, smiley and sweet. He's a huge reader (I'd guess he's reading at about a late 2nd grade level) and is number crazy. This summer has been all about multiplication and learning the states and all their capitals. He's a joy and a challenge all in one.

I get stressed out contemplating school....he'll be a very young 5 year old if he starts K in 2010. I work full time in HR and G goes to a church based pre-school/daycare. We had a meeting recently and the director told me that she was always so pleased to see G love to read the bible during free time. I unfortunately had to tell her that his love of the bible comes not from a deep well of spirituality, but rather from all the chapter and verse numbers in the book. Oops.

Lovely to see you all here!

F
    F
    Hello Im a mother of Three oldest DD4 1/2yrs DS3yrs and DD8 1/2mo. and i am also a homeschooler or will be once they reach school ages i myself was homeschooled for 6yrs of my childhood and when i went to highschool found it to be a great waste of time because the things they teach in a week i could learn in a matter of hours at home

My oldest DD4 is Just started reading and enjoys inventing she is very creative and constantly building/making things she has an incredible vocab and understanding of language but is not really in to reading quite yet she only reads single words for now she also loves gymnastics and playing outside

My middle chid DS3 is also very verbal and has a HUGE imagination which is great for play but also makes him scared of almost everything he isnt a good sleeper and he has many sensitivitys he is very bright and has a great sense of humor he started making jokes at 18mo. and is also very social with kids of all ages but shy with adults he enjoys playing outside and riding his bike

My youngest DD8mo. is my earlyest baby and quite frankly scares me a bit she has been much more like a 12mo.+ baby since about 7mo. at 6mo. she started saying "I DID IT" and thats her favorite thing to say she started walking at 7 1/2mo. and now is walking quite well she is into everything and seems to have a great understanding of the world around her she is often described as being weird or unusual just because she doesnt seem like a baby...

My dd is 3, she enjoys bossing people around and mocking people by taking what they just said and restating it with made up silly words or words like 'pooh' inserted. Oh, and singing, and dancing, and trucks and reading about medical instruments and body parts.

Ds9 is our other child, but this thread seems to be in the preschool section, so I'll leave him out of it wink

F
    F
    I have 2 youngins
    My DD7 was always smart, sweet & sensitive, the "perfect" role model child. We used to pat ourselves on the back because we were such good parents. Sigh
    Then my DS3 came along...
    He is our head strong, independent, opinionated one. Mix that with a very advanced vocabulary and the usual impatience of toddler hood and you get one intense child. He back talks, gets mad frequently, and will debate and argue ANY topic, no real temper tantrums though. On the flip his brain is amazing. The depth of his questions and curiosity amaze me everyday. I am quite sure his drilling questions are going to drive some poor teacher crazy in a couple of years.

W
    W
    DS 3 is a self described leader. He�ll allow you to walk beside him but would prefer you to stay behind. DS is athletic, an adrenaline junkie, logical and has a wicked sense of humor. I appreciate DS�s zeal for life, roll my eyes at some of the aforementioned, and would like to take a time out from debates/arguments with DS. DS attends a university run preschool.

W
    W
    I have two sons Wolf(almost 5) and Bear (2.5).

Wolf is probably HG and is currently working mostly at a late 2nd grade level and is starting a public school Independent Study program in the K-1 class and will officially be in 1st by the semester. He LOVES cars and books and is currently very into animals (predation, what makes them different, pretty much anything animal related). He is outgoing and ACTIVE and moody.

Bear is the intense baby with sensitivity and overexcitability issues. He had HORRIBLE screaming tantrums several times a day that lasted for over 1/2 hour from the time he was a couple of months old, but chiropractic seems to be helping surprisingly enough. He is extremely shy, but loves music and dancing and is also VERY active. He is a clown at home. He is very physically and verbally advanced, but we're not exactly certain where he is going giftedness-wise.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM