Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 121 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I agree with ColinsMum that doing something more unschool-y might be the way to go. It doesn't have to be full-on unschooling. That would strike fear in my heart, personally, though I believe strongly that there are ways to make unschooling work wonderfully well for kids. How you approach homeschooling is really more of a personality issue than anything--both your child's and yours!--and I am not that personality. But there's a HUGE middle ground between no set curriculum whatsoever and doing exactly what some teacher's guide tells you to do.

My compromise is to be very child-led, offer many choices about what DS8 can do, but still have some fairly flexible requirements. We have "math time," when he must select one of the many options I provide that are acceptable to me as math. I choose the options based on his specific needs. Some we use a lot, some we never touch. Some are game-based, some are very traditional worksheet-type things. As long as we eventually cover all the skills he needs, whatever he picks from the pile of options is fine.

He has to do each subject when it's time to do it, unless he gets on a roll with something. If that happens, I make the call about whether it's more productive to change gears or to amend the schedule to let him keep going. Usually it's worth it to let him keep going and just catch up on the other subject(s) later. If he's excited about learning, then it usually doesn't make sense to stop him.

The central idea here is that he and I are partners in his education. When we first started homeschooling, I told him that I am making a promise to the state that I will be sure he gets a good education, and that if I can't provide that, he has to go back to school. So there are things he must learn. But how he learns them and when he learns them are flexible. On bad days (of which there are surprisingly few...), I remind him that if he is unhappy with what he's learning, then he has to work with me to help me find something else for him. It's his responsibility, too. That works for us. It might not work for all kids, not even all HG+ kids, but it works like a charm for him. Feel free to use or ignore...

BTW, we started HSing when he was 6, so these sorts of conversations are not impossible with a 5yo, depending upon the child. But giving your DD some responsibility, stressing to her your own responsibility, and being very flexible about what she studies could be just what you need. I can tell you for sure that giving DS8 a great deal of control within certain boundaries virtually eliminates fights around here. Plus it is encouraging him to view his education as his own responsibility. I don't know that I ever really felt that way--even in grad school!--so I think that's a good side-effect. smile

Hopefully there's something mildly useful there for you... wink

Kriston
    R
    renie1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    yes i was wrong about worrying about curriculum for K.. And yes, its very important for her to go to school with her brother, so this is a major reason why i'm confused about september (when she is scheduled to begin K).. But what i do know, is that in just over a week of basically devoting my day to her she has changed. She is overall just easier and seems happier. So hopefully by Sept. we'll have an entirely different child.
    irene

Oh, you're not wrong. You're very normal to worry about curriculum. But if she's responding better after just one week, it may be okay if you tweak things just a tad.

A lot can happen over a summer. How soon do you have to make the decision between homeschooling or the school? Can you stall? Homeschool over the summer and then try school in the fall to get some comparison? Afterschool while she's in school? Find some middle ground between the two in some other way?

I'd recommend staying as flexible as you can for as long as you can. Kids' needs and desires change, and it's good to be able to respond.

FWIW...

Kriston
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM