Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
    Originally Posted by m2gts
    I received similar comments from all people - my son's pediatrician!
    The pediatrician totally downplayed it, and basically said that because I was a stay-at-home mom, I work with him and he was just hearing me say all of those things to him and it was simply memorization on his part.

That's an amazing memory he has!! LOL

Our Pediatrician did not make a fuss out Mr W. She was very matter of fact and broached the subject at his 6 mos checkup. At 12 mos, she asked a lot of questions and then told us we'd have an interesting time with him. It was very low key.

IMHO peds should screen for GT just like they do for disabilities. It would give parents some information they could work with.

Comments like that about this sort of subject always bug me. I mean, do *I* have some deeper understanding of letters and numbers? Um, no! I just memorized them! That's what learning them IS!

There's nothing higher on Bloom's Taxonomy for letters. Knowledge is as high as it goes! If you know them, you memorized them. The thing is that most kids that age have neither the interest nor the ability to memorize them. *sigh*

<eyeroll>

Kriston
    J
    J
    People always ask me what I did to help DS5. I tell them I wish I did do something b/c I would be a millionaire!

You know what we should all say..... *evil grin*

"Yes I've worked with Him/Her, we are building a giant lazer out of cat food cans and pencil shavings in the basement that we plan to take over the world with, Him/Her with be the supreme leader and I will be there dutiful minion."

Then just smile, twist your hands together and hum some Mozart.

Pretend to catch a fly and eat it, too. See if they catch the Dracula reference!

Love it!

Kriston
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Austin
    IMHO peds should screen for GT just like they do for disabilities. It would give parents some information they could work with.

We are very fortunate to have a very young, probably PG doctor who said when DS was 18 mo "Um... you should probably start thinking about school" and opened the door for a lot of conversation. We were taken aback a bit because DS was born prematurely and all we'd ever heard from the docs was "He'll probably be normal by 3!" but nobody told us to watch for the other direction :-)

Our pediatrician was also great when last year's teachers started whining about ADHD. He laughed them off and said obviously they'd never taught smart boys before. Then promptly referred us to an ed.psych for testing.

"I have a friend who I told her about ds's IQ score. She said, "why did you push him so much?". I didn't! You cannot "study" to take an IQ test." Quote from fangcyn

Fang - I'm so sorry! This, from someone you felt was safe to tell. shocked

Last edited by seablue; 03/18/09 09:06 PM. Reason: messed up quotes
    F
    F
    Thanks, Seablue! I just wish people understand our kids more.

Cindi

SENG has a brochure to provide info to healthcare providers and parents. I gave it to DS's pediatric allergist, since there is a high incidence of gifted kids with allergies. She was great and we talked about it for a bit. I should request more to bring along at every peds visit. They're pretty basic, though, but it would be nice if a professional community that sees your kids before school could offer some advice when warranted.
    http://www.sengifted.org/Is%20my%20child%20gifted%20brochure%202007.pdf

That's an amazing memory he has!! LOL

Our Pediatrician did not make a fuss out Mr W. She was very matter of fact and broached the subject at his 6 mos checkup. At 12 mos, she asked a lot of questions and then told us we'd have an interesting time with him. It was very low key.

I have held some resentment towards my Pediatrician b/c she didn't inform me about gifted. When DD was a tiny thing they marveled at her abilities but by the time she was 6 months and the doctor was checking on milestones she disregarded a lot of what we told her. Our office would give a handout on what to expect during the months before the next visit which included milestones. We would read it and laugh out loud because DD had already mastered all of those but the doctor basically ignored it. She would ask questions about if DD has said any words yet. Um yes, she talks in complete sentences and give her some examples but she would just smile and continue on. I think she thought we were boosting parents that had no idea. It got to the point that I just held my tongue b/c what was the point, especially since DD was not going to openly display her abilities in public.

But by her 2nd year check up DD was more willing to share and talk in sentences but again this was very simplified for her. But this shocked the doctor and she acknowledge that DD was highly intelligent but again never mentioned gifted.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM