Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 200 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #39943 03/03/09 02:14 PM
    OP Offline
    OK, I admit, I may be a little extreme at times, but this one just irritated me to a point that may not be rational!

I received an e-mail via a weblist I'm on and the topic was the term "gifted". There was at least 8-10 parents of gifted kids talking about how much easier things would be if their children were referred to as something other than "gifted".

They feel that the term is elitist and carries an "I've got it made" atitude, which doesn't reflect the truth behind our kids. They would like our children to be referred to as "Asynchronous learners".

How long before that term becomes "Elitist?" Used to be they called kids like this genius. That term was changed to gifted in honor of political correctness. With so many more pressing issues facing these kids I can't even believe that people want to focus on something so......Stupid!

Fact is if you call a zebra a horse with stripes, it's still a zebra....JMO

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    The debate on labeling kids is one that will never go away and then on top of that the debate of the label itself. I hear it all the time and usually from teachers with GT kids as they push the boredom card. Debating it is not my problem it is that it falls so low on the totem pole compared to what really needs to be advocated for the Genius/Gifted/Asynchronous/WHATEVER learner. Let's pull our resources for more important things. Just think how much we could do for our children if we got past the petty stuff and united on the structure of GT education needs.

T
    T
    Parents do throw daggers w/their eyes if you use the word "gifted" . I usually say my DS is an anomaly LOL

OP Offline
    Exactly!

Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    Let's pull our resources for more important things. Just think how much we could do for our children if we got past the petty stuff and united on the structure of GT education needs.

Shari
    L
    L
    Originally Posted by traceyqns
    I usually say my DS is an anomaly LOL

My son used to describe himself as an "un-normal-y".

T
    T
    That is funny.

Originally Posted by BWBShari
    OK, I admit, I may be a little extreme at times, but this one just irritated me to a point that may not be rational!

I received an e-mail via a weblist I'm on and the topic was the term "gifted". There was at least 8-10 parents of gifted kids talking about how much easier things would be if their children were referred to as something other than "gifted".

They feel that the term is elitist and carries an "I've got it made" atitude, which doesn't reflect the truth behind our kids. They would like our children to be referred to as "Asynchronous learners".

How long before that term becomes "Elitist?" Used to be they called kids like this genius. That term was changed to gifted in honor of political correctness. With so many more pressing issues facing these kids I can't even believe that people want to focus on something so......Stupid!

Fact is if you call a zebra a horse with stripes, it's still a zebra....JMO

Oh, girlfriend, I am SOOOOOOO with you! This is one of my big complaints. I don't care if you call my kid sdgtlkhasdi, just TEACH him! How is that elitist? Words aren't elitist, people are!

It annoys the fool out of me!

Kriston
    OP Offline
    Touche Kris!!

Shari
    No, that's not accurate. All kids have gifts, but not all kids are gifted.

"Gifted" is short for "academically gifted" or "intellectually gifted," and it is the professionally accepted term for this different way of learning and developing. It is a specific term with a precise meaning in the fields of education and psychology.

I agree that it is unfortunate that so many people confuse the professional term and the generic one. But that's like demanding that we change the name "heart" because too many people use it to mean the heart shape we see at Valentine's Day rather than the muscle that pumps blood.

I would be fine with using some other term. But I don't see any point in the GT community wasting a lot of energy on this. Words are useless without action. Teach my kids!

Kriston
    H
    H
    I agree with Kriston. I don't care what you want to call it, just teach them what they need and are capable of learning...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM