Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #39144 02/24/09 05:16 PM
    S
    S-T Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    For those with kids who love Math, is there any particular topic that they detest? DS8 doesn't like doing Planes and Coordinates. He is just so not into it. He will leave that section for the last, if possible when he is on Aleks. LOL

S-T #39146 02/24/09 05:37 PM
    J
    J
    You mean map coordinates? My girls both love coordinates! Perhaps chess might help... Miss 7 isn't much into mental maths but we're getting there. And after dumping her timestables during the school holidays, I'm finding it hard to re-learn them without repetition (which she hates). So that means always coming up with new ways to learn timestables *groan* Any ideas for learning timestables, again??? jojo

jojo #39151 02/24/09 06:07 PM
    Estimates and Division w/remainders. My DS refers to this as messy and can't understand why he can't just finish the problem and get the correct answer. It makes him crazy!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    jojo #39315 02/25/09 12:36 PM
    T
    T
    Hi JoJo,
    Dk if this will help but when my DS learned multiplication by learning skip counting 1st,
    3,6,9 reall 3+3+3 etc.
    He called it "taken" for a long time.
    3*3 he would say "3 taken 3 times".
    He told me it was just additon.
    Dk if that will help any.
    And then he did division backwards also saying he would doing addition 6/2 how many 2 added to get 6.

S-T #39316 02/25/09 12:39 PM
    T
    T
    Oh there is some Math my DS6 has a hard time with, word problems. I would say that is where he has trouble. He is using 3rd grade math book but the some word problems are over his head.

traceyqns #39860 03/03/09 04:14 AM
    For multiplication, nothing rocks like Multiplication Rock. I can still sing all the songs.

Word problems are really just a translation to Math Language - sort of a code. I like to teach it this way. There are lists of words associated with each that give away the clues. Each is almost almost associated with division.

Draw a picture of what is going on and cross out the "trash" in the problem. Since your child is younger than the book recommends, you can change the nouns to be what he is interested in instead of what it says. I often do this anyway and insert my students' names into the problems.

Ellipses #40084 03/04/09 08:04 AM
    L
    L
    I can't say that my son loves math, and he would probably tell you that it is his least favorite subject, but I think he is gifted in math, just not as much as in other subjects. The educational psychologist who tested him several years ago told us he was gifted in math and thought he could have scored even higher than the three grade levels ahead on the math section of the individual achievement test but he refused to use a pencil and paper to find the answer and it was obvious he was getting tired. He said he really should have been tested over more than one session because of the fatigue issues. I have noticed that his mental math ability is not quite as good when he is tired or has a bad headache and I have the same problem.

Because my son had handwriting problems and difficulty keeping columns straight, he hated multi-digit multiplication and division. When he was younger he hated subtraction that involved borrowing because he could do it a different way with less writing (he would just write the answer) because he could do it mentally and he could do it even though he did not spend as much time practicing math as his friends in our public school.

He likes to have the freedom to work on what he wants to work on first and then go back to the other stuff. He never wants to do the first problem and work them in order.

He still refuses to write any more than he has to, like when he is subtracting measures, for example: 2 lb., 5 oz. - 12 oz., he refuses to show that he is regrouping by writing the numbers at the top like the book shows. He just looks at the problem and writes the answer and he does it faster than I can do it the normal way. I decided to let him do math his way because I think this is how he will compensate for the handwriting problems.

Even now that I let him use a calculator he doesn't use it as often as I would because he likes to try to find the answers mentally. He is more than half-way through an 8th grade book (he should be in 5th) and having no trouble at all as long as I let him do the problems his way. He rarely makes errors. I think he would make more errors if he had to do more writing.

He says that when he gets to something that he has to do more writing to get the correct answer, then he will do more writing. I know if he had to go back to our public school they would not let him do math his way and this would be a problem but I try not to think about it. I told my husband if something happens to me he will have to homeschool our son.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs