Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 181 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Dottie #33757 12/31/08 10:58 AM
    E
    Emm Offline
    E
    I had dd take it last night...all her AE's were 17.7, except visual processing was really low (80) and by the time she took the last "challenge" she was tired of it, so that was lower too. Overall the scores make her look very average. She also thought it was a boring test. I kind of regret having her take it as now she thinks she's slow..... frown

Kriston #33758 12/31/08 11:00 AM
    I haven't had DS6 take it yet but I just took it at work--hard to focus on real work with so much snow falling outside my window.

I got a subscore of 136 in Logic and reasoning and also a processing speed of 122. SPGirl and I seem like we ended up with similar scores. Dottie---if you want to look closer at mine my username is my first initial, last name. PM me if you need help finding.

I am curious to see how DS6 will do.

Crisc
    Dottie #33760 12/31/08 11:07 AM
    E
    Emm Offline
    E
    LOL, I think I'll chug down another cup of coffee and take it myself! I dislike visual reasoning tests, though (ahem) that is kind of crucial to my job....

Kriston #33763 12/31/08 11:13 AM
    S
    S
    Hi! I'd say much of it was pretty accurate but some of the numbers don't seem to jive. For example, on Visual Processing, he scored AE 14.2 which is 89th percentile. On Auditory Processing, he scored AE 11, which is 88th percentile. So, I thought that was pretty weird. And, another example: on the Logic test, his raw score was 9, total possible was 20, but that put him in the 98th percentile, with an AE of 15.8. Doesn't seem right.

He thought it was fun and only lost his concentration on the Sound Drop subtest. I think he was answering backwards. Still, though, his lowest was processing speed, 110, no suprise there. He had several at 136, which must be the highest score as it is 99th percentile?

He saw the printout while bringing it to me and of course read it. His mouth literally dropped open when he saw that his AE is 14 and when he saw the "ready for college" graph, where he met or exceeded the average skill set for those entering college.

Interesting test, but I do think it needs some work. The norming is one, the inability to pause the test and rehear the instructions is another. I don't think the 10 page report gives you a lot of information.

I did poorly on the Performance Rating scale when I registered him. I was only even close in one area. Guess that shows me!

I didn't take the test. I should have taken it first but I needed to do some things while he was taking it and saw/overheard too much of it. Anyway, it was interesting and I guess I need to reevaluate the way I look at him.

Last edited by squirt; 12/31/08 11:22 AM. Reason: security
    squirt #33767 12/31/08 12:39 PM
    M
    M
    Poor DS6 apparently have my visual processing issues, except my scores were really bad (21% for visual processing!). Are most logic/reasoning sections on IQ tests so visually intensive? I'm usually really good at logic puzzles and problems, but those symbols were swimming all over the page and I had a really hard time tracking them.

We haven't had DS tested yet (Jan 10th he's doing a group test for a GT charter), but it was really interesting to see that he obviously has visual issues.

Anyways, if anyone's interested here are his scores-
    Scores

Last edited by mamaandmore; 12/31/08 12:41 PM.
    mamaandmore #33768 12/31/08 12:49 PM
    E
    Emm Offline
    E
    OK, so I took it, with the advantage of seeing dd take it last night and therefore knowing what to expect, and my full scale score was a mere 10 points higher than hers. blush

I despised the visual processing puzzles. I think it depends on the particular IQ test, but some of them have more of that kind of thing than others (Raven's vs. WISC comes to mind.)

I do particularly appreciate how it calculated my age to be "48.94 years", lol!

Kriston #33779 12/31/08 01:29 PM
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Oh, Dottie LOVES her data! You have no idea how happy she is wading through test scores.

It turns out to be a ridiculously useful obsession for the rest of us here! (Dunno if it's useful to Dottie. LOL!) We LOVE that she LOVES her data! It's like having a professional test score analyzer on staff. For free!

Dottie rocks! laugh

Agreed! Dottie rocks!

It does remind me of one of my favorite jokes where a Father brings his brother to a psychiatrist, saying: "Doctor, for the last 10 years he thinks he's a chicken!"

Psychiatrist: 10 years! Why did you wait so long to bring him to me?

"Frankly, We needed the Eggs!"

So Dottie - if anyone offers to cure you of this 'interest' in test scores, remember, We Need your Eggs!

BTW, I think one of the main downsides of being a Giftie, is not having sufficient numbers of references to tell if we have normal Intensity, or if we are crazy. To ND folks, it's really hard from them to tell if I'm 'normal- Gifted' or weird. I am so grateful to all of you for being my realistic reference points. It's nice not to have to worry anymore.

Love and Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #33781 12/31/08 01:36 PM
    S
    S
    By the way, here's part of an email response I got from the guy in charge of this (I emailed him about the scores being visible online to anyone). So, if you have constructive comments, you might pass them on to him.

"We had a formal survey process initially but no one ever used it so we discontinued it. At some point we are going to create a blog so that people can interact. In the meantime, please feel free to send me comments directly.

Gary Smith

CEO

BrainSkills LLC

719-264-1909

gary@gsmith.name "

squirt #33785 12/31/08 02:03 PM
    DS6 just took it and did VERY well--hit ceilings on Processing, Working Memory, Logic and Word Attack for his age. Not sure how many 6 years old it is normed against though. Overall composite was 129--kicked my butt. smile

For those of you who know his name and want to see scores you can look it up by his first name, then the letter j.

DS6 really didn't like the auditory tests but actually did rather well. I also watched him on the logic section and was surprised that he was able to choose his answers so quickly and accurately.

Thanks for the link this has been fun.

Crisc
    Dottie #33786 12/31/08 02:14 PM
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    It turns out to be a ridiculously useful obsession for the rest of us here! (Dunno if it's useful to Dottie. LOL!) We LOVE that she LOVES her data! It's like having a professional test score analyzer on staff. For free!
    By the way, THANKS for that. I know from my experience with "the world" that my behavior borders on insanity. I've learned that the hard way. I keep most of my number crunching to myself these days as a lesson well learned. But I appreciate your comment all the more because of that. Even if you do find me slightly insane (you'd be in good company), I'm thrilled that you can appreciate me anyway, wink .

Oh, I don't think you're insane. Not at all! Not even a little! (Well, at least not any more insane than I am or anyone else here is... wink ) Data's just your "thing," like Pokemon and Transformers are my DS7's thing and the Norse are my thing.

Truly, I meant obsession in the best, most positive sense. Given my whole family and our tendency to obsess in that same manner, I tend to think people without some sort of strong interest in something are a bit nutty! laugh

You seem perfectly normal to me, and downright kind to share what you know with the rest of us!

Probably just means you're gifted, right? wink

Kriston
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM