Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Lori: My son loves British accents too! grin We read the first Harry Potter together this summer as our snuggle-time book, so that I could see how he reacted to it. After hitting a word that was obviously British and stopping to explain it to him, he insisted that I read the rest of the book out loud with a British accent. It was too funny.

Just saying the word "sausage" to the boy with a British accent will cause him to fall over with laughter, holding his side and gasping for breath. I don't know why or how that originated (Wallace and Grommit maybe?), but it definitely gets him out of a funky mood.

If you haven't looked up Wallace and Grommit movies, I would. They have three shorts, "The Wrong Trousers", "Grand Day Out", and "A Close Shave". And they had a collection of snippets called "Cracking Contraptions, and a full length feature film, "Curse of the Were-Rabbit". I'm particularly fond of "The Wrong Trousers" and "A Close Shave". laugh

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    M
    M
    W&G V. big here, too, ebeth! "Knickers" has been the lads' expletive of choice for some time!

Has your son seen (or read) any of the Bertie & Jeeves videos (or books)? Lovely plummy accents there.

Toodle-pip!
    minnie

L
    L
    I can't do the British accent very well at all. We watched a British ghost hunting show recently, on the Travel channel I think, and afterwards my husband and son went into an improv performance of a ghost hunting scene, British accent and all. I tried to join in, but was not very good at it, so I had to be the cameraman.

My son can also mimic the voice on our GPS "Turn left in 1.5 miles..." perfectly.

He has a lot of fun with it and combined with the sense of humor and improv ability he is fun to be around. It is just that sometimes it is too much of a good thing.

Wallace & Grommit! Brilliant! smile

There is so much (hilarious) detail in those they are truly worth watching over and over...

I love Wallace & Grommit. I didn't realize there were more movies so I will definitely be on the look out!

My ds talks constantly too, even in his sleep!

Instead of having imaginary friends, he becomes other characters. One of them has an american accent and another an australian one. I have no idea where he picked this up! I am a cockney with a very distinct London accent and he has a Strong regional northern accent, as he has grown up in the north of England. However he can switch to London easily and is very convincing, especially as he uses lots of rhyming slang that he has learnt from his grandad.

He is fascinated with accents, dialects and languages. He even corrects my speech if I use my local dialect.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by rachibaby
    Instead of having imaginary friends, he becomes other characters.

My son was similar. No imaginary friends, he just became different characters.

He talks a lot with his hands too. He says he likes to watch people. He watches their body language and is able to mimic it. He is good enough at doing impressions that I can usually tell who he is trying to be. I think he's funny until he does his imitation of me.

S
    S
    Not sure it's related to giftedness...but I do know my DS talks a LOT. He does take breaks though. If he is really working on things or figuring them out he is quiet for a little while. He's quiet on the computer sometimes and when he watches TV. Whenever DS is quiet he is thinking very hard about something and whenever he figures it out he tells us all about it...in detail. On Saturday he was quiet for a minute in the car and then told me "I am running out of paper in my mind. I have piles of paper for my thoughts but I already used up 3 packs of paper that has 20 sheets each so that's 60 sheets and I don't have any more left" to which I replied "well sounds like you need more paper" Of course the conversation went on for a while. My DD is 18 months and she talks a little but she sings ALL day long, Oddly enough her songs are easily recognizeable based on rhythm and notes...but the articulation needs some work. ; ) It's pretty fun to watch. Her favorite is "E I eh E O" That's BINGO for those of you who didn't get that, LOL.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Is this a sign of gifteness? I think it's a sign of his Intensity, which is probably related to his giftedness. I know that not all gifted kids are talkitive, but I know that whatever my son does, he does with gusto, even if it's sitting on the couch zoning out. I used to worry that he was having slight seziures. Grinity

My son zones out a lot, especially in the car...he is usually counting something (like mile markers or windshield wipers going down) or thinking about something very hard....like trying to figure out how Santa sorts all of his presents and how he knows which gifts go to which child...and how the sleigh can fly since reindeer can't...etc etc). although he looks like he is out if it...he is ALWAYS thinking about something very intently. sometimes I wish he could just chill a little, but that's not what he does I guess.

B
    BKD Offline
    B
    PROBABLY EVEN UNDER WET CEMENT.

They were in frightening form this morning.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM