Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Yes, I always say that it's pretty arrogant of us to think that we know all there is to know about reality. I'm always a skeptic about people's claims--we ignore the times our gut was wrong, for example, and only note the times it was right--but I also think there's a lot that happens that we don't understand. Does that mean it's not real? There was a time when we didn't understand germs or atoms or other things we couldn't see, too. Maybe science just hasn't caught up yet? Who knows.

I definitely wouldn't make a big deal out of "spooky" happenings for my child. I'd be very matter-of-fact about that. But I'm always a big fan of trusting one's gut. The more in touch you are with yourself and your surroundings, the more often it's right on, even when you don't know why it's right on.

Kriston
    My mother, who I think was probably gifted, told me that she had a really, really bad feeling about going in for a minor surgery six years ago. She didn't even tell my Dad. It was not the first time she had ever had surgery and she had never worried about having surgery this much before. I told her she should talk to her doctor if she was worried about it, but I was sure she would be fine. She wasn't. Doctors couldn't tell us for sure what happened. Maybe mini-strokes, maybe a lack of oxygen, they didn't know, but many years worth of memories were wiped out forever and her short term memory was gone forever. She would never again be able to learn another thing, when reading and learning had been her favorite things to do in life and she would also be unable to take care of herself for the rest of her life.

I so feel for you and know how awful this has to be. My DG had been having mini strokes for a few months and then had a larger one that took her from us. She was very much like your mother: A huge reader and I truly believe that with the loss of her eye sight (She was legally blind during the last 2 yrs. of her life) it really heighthen her demise. The night before she had the big stroke she talked to my mom, giving her instructions showing she clearly sensed her time was near. We really believe she would have died sooner if it were not for my DD who she saw twice a week. It lifted her spirits and gave her something to look forward to as well as drove the rest of the family nuts b/c DD was the complete topic of conversation.

On another note that fits into gut feelings:
    My uncle and aunt were coming back at night from a trip down the same highway they always take. He stopped right before this bridge and had to get out to see what was in the way. Of course there was nothing there so he went home. The next day he headed off to work during a foggy morning and slowed down right before the bridge b/c of the night before. In the middle of his lane was a huge barrel of hay (the round type) that had dropped off some farmers truck. If he had not slowed down he would have surely hit it, probably totalling his car and even more possibly death.

seablue Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I've read them and have so much to think about. DH and I have a lot of amazing coincidences in our lives, so much so we have had to consider there is something bigger happening that we can't measure with a yardstick.

I think for my DD I'm going to laugh along with her jibberish and "check out" any statements that seem ominous.

Kriston, you asked if this all bothers me... the answer is no. DD is not at all in distress. Really, I was mostly wondering if "weirdness" was part and parcel to "giftedness," in case it's another big area I'm going to have to be prepared for.

Good. If it doesn't bother you, then I'd say enjoy the ride! laugh

Kriston
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM