Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 344 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    So while reading through Ruf's book I am really hoping my kiddo is not a level 5 because level 3 and 4 is still a scary thing to have to consider but level 5 blows my mind!

Before I had my son tested during a time we were thinking of early entry to kindergarten, I thought, after reading Ruf's book "oh, he's definitely a level 3, maybe possibly a low level 4" and i was pleased after reading the book that i could rationalize to myself that he was not a "profoundly gifted" kid, which i considered to be level 5, and yes, scary. His testing came back in the PG range, and so I was freaked out, and also didn't quite believe it. Since he is still only 4, I still don't quite believe it, but I am happy in the knowledge that there are indeed all flavors of gifted, and even though my DS wouldn't look at casual glance to be PG, he has his moments. I found that in learning more about HG kids, I was able to be not freaked out or worried about his PG status. He's still my little pipsqueak, and we'll make do.

Keep in mind that there is very little research or published works on young HG kids, and Dr. Ruf's sample size is small. I found it a wonderful book to introduce me to levels of giftedness, which I didn't know about, and also to read stories that seemed to be about my child. I can see my kid as a 3, a 4, or possibly a 5-to-be, at various times.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 11/02/08 08:47 PM.
    seablue Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    As a side note: I always warn against the notion that GT kids don't need to be taught. By definition, they do learn things more quickly and easily than the average kid, and some things they certainly piece out by themselves without instruction. But I worry that this "they teach themselves" idea plays into neglectful teaching situations and lack of challenge. Some GT kids really go like mad on their own, but not all.

I'm so glad you mentioned this. Most all of what I'd read about GT kids says, "they just pick it up on their own." That made me feel like I shouldn't try to teach her anything, like it would be forcing it. But, on the occasions when I do intentionally teach her something, she learns it and seems to love the process of being taught, like it's entertainment.

st pauli,

Maybe by the time my DD is in Kinder I won't be as freaked but most likely even more so because by then we will have to make the strategic moves necessary to ensure some form of happiness in our kiddos education. I read this beautiful article a few months ago written by a mother of an autistic child and she talks about the 5 step process parents go through when discovering their child to be different. Finding that your child is HG+ makes me at least go through similar steps. Shocked but delighted to find I am not nuts for what I have witnessed; shamed and trying to hide her abilities... on and on. I still have not wrapped my head around all of this and the more I read in articles, books and discussion boards the more topics I have not considered arise and fear comes back in force.

The best metaphor I can come up with for this process is the game of chess. I feel my DD is the ultimate game and I have to strategically move the pieces in hopes of ensuring her the best outcome possible. I have always said we will send our kids to public school and now I am just not so sure, but what we chose to do I have no idea. And I know what all the responses will state .. she is too young for you to be worrying about all of this right now. Hey I am a researcher and this is my ultimate project. I want to be as prepared as I can be for the battle we have ahead of us.

Well, now that you mention kindergarten....I admit to having a little freaking out going on right now as we research schools for the fall. I think there will be several waves of freaking out, but i do have to say that they are less severe than the panic I felt when (1) I first read Ruf's book; (2) I read through the kindergarten curriculum when DS was 3 and realized he already knew it; and (3) found out DS's SB-V results. Things seem to get better with time and with more knowledge.

One of the absolute best stress-relievers, which I learned about first on this site, is the availability of homeschooling as a backup plan in case things don't work out in a school situation. You can give individualized instruction, and you know your kiddo best.

The other great thing is the ability to talk things through with folks who have been there before. (thanks everyone here.) And this forum will definitely help you prepare for what's to come. Good luck!

D
    D
    I did record my 17-month old D's progress for what its worth.
    At 12 months old she was speaking a dozen words of English and a dozen words of Swedish.
    (Her mother mainly speaks Swedish to her I speak mainly English).
    At 15 months old her vocabulary was uncountable (unless you specify a certain subject).
    For example, on birds she would say jackdaw, crow, duck, owl (and for the correct species)
    In comparison the other kids of similar age in her creche were struggling to say "birdie".
    She was also using verbs (one word sentences).
    This month she is using 2 word sentences correctly.
    She's attempting to count (both languages) and to recite abcs.
    4 days ago I started her on that Titzer reading dvd course to see what happens.
    She seems to love it so far.

If your DD was anything like my DS6 and it sounds like she is the Titzer thing will entertain he for about two weeks. Someone bought my son a leapfrog video called letter sounds when he was about 16 mos. He watched it constantly for a couple of weeks, then promptly sat down and started sounding out words. Once he discovered that he could connect the sounds to read the words he taught himself to read very quickly.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Originally Posted by BWBShari
    If your DD was anything like my DS6 and it sounds like she is the Titzer thing will entertain he for about two weeks. Someone bought my son a leapfrog video called letter sounds when he was about 16 mos. He watched it constantly for a couple of weeks, then promptly sat down and started sounding out words. Once he discovered that he could connect the sounds to read the words he taught himself to read very quickly.

That sounds interesting. We'll give the Titzer DVD a shot. Mr W (12m2w) is enthralled with the letter segments on Sesame Street. His speech is a mash of spanish and english right now.

BWBShari, my DS did the same thing at 19mths w/ the Leapfrog video. After viewing it 3x, he knew most of the letter sounds. He read a Bob book cold shortly after he turned 2. My current 2yr old now knows several of her letter sounds from that video!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM