Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Hello everybody!

I can't express enough how honored I am to start my journey with DYS. I just found out a few days ago that my DD5 is qualified to join and, I am still in a state of shock and extreme research mode.

We got her results via a behavior assessment from the district's psychologist so, her report is not that detailed on her scores however, it's enough to apply with.

So question is� She hit the ceiling on two segments and I was able to get her raw score for those so, is there a way to find out what her true IQ is or will we have to test her when she is a little older on something different? I want to find out if she is HG, EG or PG so, I can have a better understanding of what is going on in that beautiful mind of hers.

WPPSI-IV
    Information 17
    Similarities 19
    Block Design 19
    Matrix Reasoning 17
    Picture Memory 12
    Bug Search 14

GAI 153
    FSIQ 142
    VCI 146

Raw score:
    Block Design 30
    Similarities 37

Also unrelated to the topic... Since it was initially a behavioral analysis The KTEA-3 didn't include grade level. Looks like she may have hit the ceiling here as well. Does anyone here know her reading level? What is the max tested for a 5:3 year old?

Reading Composite 157
    Letter & Word Recognition 153
    Reading Comprehension 154

Thanks in advance for everyone who helps!

C
    C
    Others will probably have more detailed/accurate info, but my suggestion would be to retest using the WISC-IV at age 6, with extended norms that are claimed to test up to 210.

WISC–IV Extended Norms

There is also an interesting discussion here, though it could be organized better: What is Highly Gifted? Exceptionally Gifted? Profoundly Gifted?

Last edited by Cranberry; 02/07/17 10:58 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

With regard to grade level, I should note that these are not criterion-referenced instruments, they're norm-referenced instruments, which means that, while they are very good at determining one's relative standing compared to same-age peers, they are not the correct measure for determining grade levels.

If your question has to do with instructional placement, it is generally more effective to do curriculum-based testing, using whatever reading curriculum your school uses. (Some commercial curricula have placement exams; otherwise, you may consider end-of-course or end-of-unit exams taken from the curriculum.)

With regard to extended norms, they do exist for the WPPSI-IV, but not every examiner has them, as they are in a separate resource. I would agree that you will obtain more stable data from a re-test, probably in an other two or three years, using the WISC-V, which should have extended norms by then. (The WISC-IV is, at this point, an outdated test, and should be used only with great caution.)

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thank you! The 2nd article is what got my gears rolling on her hitting the ceiling and if there was a way to find out if a standard WPPSI-IV could calculate a more accurate IQ. Very intersting stuff!

I'll definitely look into WISC-IV Extended Norms for when she is 6. I didn't know any of the Wechsler test could do that at that age. Thank you so much!

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Good to know. I saw a few examples of the KTEA having their grade level listed but, the administrator couldn't tell me. I didn't know if that was standard or if that was just one partucular example. I still don't know at what grade level my DD reads at, the test at her school only goes to 5th grade.

Thanks for the heads up on her future testing. I'll just advocate the best that I can with what I have now.

A
    A
    Hello and welcome smile

DD5 took the WPPSI-IV in October and hit 3 ceilings, 2 of which were used in the composite scores. My understanding- it's possible the GAI/FSIQ can be artificially depressed b/c of these ceilings however there's no guarantee. It may be they'd get the very next question wrong, in which case the score is legit. Or they could continue answering correctly forever and ever.

Good luck w/ the DYS process! We are just now setting up our BB profiles after applying. The application is much more intimidating than it probably should be if you have the scores so don't stress too much about it.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thank you so much! I'm more stressed on understanding my DD more and how to help her than I am about the application process since she qualifies on both of the tests so took. My concern is that she has had an extremely rough time with school and, I want her to be happy for once. I want to find the ideal environment. It's breaking my heart. Congrats on your little one!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Quietgem
    has had an extremely rough time with school and, I want her to be happy for once. I want to find the ideal environment.
    For many profoundly gifted kids, an ideal school environment does not exist, and the educational journey may be reassessed by the parents each year, to determine the best "fit" (or least-worst fit), based on their child's current needs. The educational journey may include some homeschooling as well. You might want to begin learning about effective advocacy now, to prepare yourself to work with the schools to get your child's needs met throughout the years.

This is not to discourage you, but to manage your expectations realistically. You are in good company here... lots of information (go-to resources and many years of experience) generously shared.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Quietgem
    my DD5 is qualified to join and, I am still in a state of shock and extreme research mode.

We got her results via a behavior assessment from the district's psychologist so, her report is not that detailed on her scores however, it's enough to apply with.
    It is great that you have received scores and reports which you believe are sufficient to apply to DYS... however, as you are in "extreme research mode", I hope you will appreciate this bit of research -
    Originally Posted by DYS FAQs
    The Davidson Institute is unable to determine whether or not an applicant will qualify for the Young Scholars program outside the context of a complete application. If you believe your child may qualify for the Young Scholars program and want a decision regarding their eligibility, it is best to submit an application. After reviewing the application, the committee will decide if the applicant qualifies, does not qualify with the information provided, or if additional information is needed to make a final decision.
    While encouraged to apply, it may seem a tad bit presumptuous to declare that your child is qualified to join the DYS program, until Davidson has received the application, had the opportunity to review it, and notified you that your child has qualified.

P
    P
    Has qualifying scores maybe?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs