Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #231480 06/04/16 10:46 AM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    I wonder whether people here have resources/books/research to recommend on the topic of maximizing the potential of creative kids who are out of the box and determinedly staying there. This population of kids overlap somewhat with gifted kids, but not entirely so. I'm sure we all have examples, and I have also read various reports in the past about gifted kids who are not creative, and creative kids who are not gifted as measured by IQ tests.

My perception is that providing the right educational setting for these kids, especially in high school, could be even more challenging than for gifted kids. A lot of gifted education focuses on acceleration. But the out-of-the-box kids might be better off taking an alternative route, instead of progressing faster on the same route. GPA might not be a good measurement of their potential, and they might not care much about it. Some of them might want to develop their potential through apprenticeship, research, independent work and real life experience, instead of learning through classrooms and teacher assignments.

My DS (high school sophomore, DYS) is definitely an out-of-the-box kid, really, really stays away from any box. While he is doing well in school, I keep feeling that the traditional classroom setting is not what he is excited about. The primary focus among academically oriented high schoolers on high GPA -> prestigious college is, in my mind, also limiting to out-of-the-box kids. So I'm very interested in learning about the trajectory of such kids and how they find a balance between accommodating their creativity and conventional expectations.

I hope I'm making myself clear.

Q
    Q
    Hopefully someone further along will chime in with recommendations. My DD (7th grade, DYS) is more a creative kid than a gifted kid if we are only allowed to check one box. I do not have any answers. DD is not excited about the traditional classroom setting but I am not sure if "gifted only" kids are either? On the other hand, she does enjoy open-ended multi-media projects (individual & group) and does jump through academic hoops without too much complaining. For high school, she will probably end up at the Visual Arts Magnet Program at a Magnet only high school; while still highly rated, this school is not as academically vigorous/impressive as another school where her twin will likely end up. For DD, we have discussed the issue of not closing any doors, which requires meeting "conventional expectations" as well.

On second thought, I think that by a certain level of giftedness (somewhere beyond HG/MG?), there probably is an inherent inclination/preference for "apprenticeship, research, independent work and real life experience" due to limits to "learning through classrooms and teacher assignments." DS, who is significantly more gifted and significantly less creative than DD, would also have this inclination/preference. I guess the balance doesn't seem too hard at present because conventional expectations are still easily met enough that most of their energy can go towards creativity and out-of-the-box pursuits, if that makes sense?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Although this is not exactly the same population, I think there is something to be gained from contemplating the vocational/technical school model (just as there is in the arts/magnet school model). These schools tend to be highly-enriched for out-of-the-box learners, too, including those with strong practical intelligence, entrepreneurial gifts, and an inclination toward experiential, problem-based learning. The vocational side of the educational model is oriented exactly toward apprenticeship, independent work, and real life experience (the level of research depends on the vocation/trade). On the con side, traditional academic offerings tend to be more limited, although many schools are moving toward virtual/online classes and dual enrollment for the highest-level students. And those academics may or may not be conventional in presentation. (In our state, an entire full-time year of college can be had for free, through dual enrollment.)

If admission to an elite university is a personal value or goal, then this might not be the most efficient avenue (although it definitely would give a student an unusual educational narrative, which might be an advantage, in some cases), mainly because of limited access to AP classes. But it should not pose a significant impediment to admission to very respectable second tier privates or state unis, including flagships, especially with dual enrollment or virtual high school credit.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent