Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    longcut Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I am curious about the DYS scoring qualifications with respect to the EXPLORE test. How does DYS work for kids who aren't scoring as high on the ability scores as they are on achievement/talent search? My DS10 now has qualifying scores, and I'm considering applying for him.

It's fascinating to piece it all together, a busy year past year or so -- the WISC, WIAT, CogAT, and EXPLORE, but I guess I don't know that he's at DYS levels, if that makes sense (reading all your stories here). But I suppose the idea is that at those high achievement levels, you need more advocacy support?

Also, for the WISC V, I know there are not extended norms yet. What would the extended scores offer, considering he had more than one scaled score of 18?

Ultimately, it probably doesn't change what options we have going forward. We are going by what he needs and are able to show how he needs/wants more, but limited by what the schools offer (which is not gifted congregated classrooms or gifted schools).

What might I do to support a 10yo who got a 23 in the EXPLORE science section? I wish we had Science Olympiad.

LAF Offline
    longcut - do you live outside the US? I believe different countries have their own versions of SciOly. If in the US, maybe you can get behind getting a team together at your child's school. My son participated this year, but this was the first year our school had it, largely because our new principal is very STEM oriented but the parents were pushing for it too.

If it were me (and I am right there with you because I have a science kid too) I would call up local science oriented organizations/museums and try and do as many things like that as possible. There are also science camps...

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    At age 10, the extended norms would add value only if he had subtest scores of 19.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    L
    longcut Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    He's in a STEM club program that has programs every few months; the science center camps, well, we had a bad experience at (too low level being by age grade, very out of place) a couple years ago; the Mad Science community ed class couldn't draw enough in the upper elementary grades and got cancelled every time we tried. Honestly, I now totally see where schools are letting kids down in science early on but also that people just aren't encouraging their kids in it. I need to really look further, and probably drive further, but I don't know about running a club. Yikes. 😁😊 Of course, DS is currently saying he wants to spend his life studying colonial history.

Also, he was 9 for the WISC V, if that makes a difference. If not, I will just let that lie.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs