Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (aeh), 211 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    R
    R
    Do you not think there is an ever growing subset of the good math kids that are learning through AoPS and other online courses that are extremely good at math? From what I have heard there is growing concern about the widening gap between this subset and even the above average high school math student. This group is being led by Asians.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by ruazkaz
    Do you not think there is an ever growing subset of the good math kids that are learning through AoPS and other online courses that are extremely good at math? From what I have heard there is growing concern about the widening gap between this subset and even the above average high school math student. This group is being led by Asians.

Wasn't there a recent article on this subject?

P
    P
    Can't find the thread for some reason, but here's the article, quite pertinent to this debate:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/03/the-math-revolution/426855/

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by Platypus101
    Can't find the thread for some reason, but here's the article, quite pertinent to this debate:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/03/the-math-revolution/426855/

Great discussion so far. It's really enlightening and notable that even within this group that there is a debate about the subject.
    I read the above article which was another reason I posted my question. Also, we live in an area with many families from India and China. I am surrounded by friends (who grew up in Asia) whose kids study study study because mom and dad are breathing down their necks... I sometimes feel like a slacker mom. I absolutely do not push my kids. They do it to themselves with my DH and I trying to work on the perfectionist bent they have (hear the big sigh??). My kids get A's just for sneezing so I'm really not worried about grades, just about that moment in college or an internship when they MAY realize they aren't prepared.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Instead of worrying about getting a child subject-accelerated as far as possible in math just for the sake of being accelerated in math, I'd instead look at where they are in science. Are they on an accelerated track? What types of science do you think they'll be ready for and interested in during which years in high school - and then make a math plan from there. Some types of science classes will require calculus credit or concurrent enrollment. Some will require other (lower) levels of math achievement. Some won't require much math at all.

I will check this out. DD10 is crazy about science. We explained to her early last year (as did the AoPS teacher) that math and science are joined at the hip. She might be ready to listen to that now.

DD used to love math. I remember she and her big sister used to beg us to give them math problems for fun on road trips. What happened???

Instead of worrying about getting a child subject-accelerated as far as possible in math just for the sake of being accelerated in math,

Do parents really drive their kids ahead just for the sake of it? Personally, I feel my DD is ahead, not because I am right behind her with a goad, but because she learns quickly. Also let's not forget that 'grade level' for the U.S. is pitiful in China or Singapore.

I am expecting her to be done with high school Maths earlier and relish the prospect precisely because it will free her up for more AP science classes should she still want to be a medical scientist when the time comes. It will be difficult to do well in the hard sciences without a solid Maths foundation, IMO.

Become what you are
    U
    U
    Second trend I've noticed - there's a bit of a trend to try to get kids "ahead" (accelerated) in secondary math in much larger numbers. We live in a world of achievers who want their children to achieve, and we have a lot of kids who are capable of higher level math in lower grades. The gotcha is that it feels (jmo) that one easy way of helping everyone feel like there child is getting acceleration and challenge and yadayada is by accelerating in math, simply because math is quantifiable and easy to benchmark acceleration. So it's easy to get caught up in the thought process that your student *needs* to be ahead - when really they don't. Instead of worrying about getting a child subject-accelerated as far as possible in math just for the sake of being accelerated in math, I'd instead look at where they are in science. Are they on an accelerated track? What types of science do you think they'll be ready for and interested in during which years in high school - and then make a math plan from there. Some types of science classes will require calculus credit or concurrent enrollment. Some will require other (lower) levels of math achievement. Some won't require much math at all. If your child is naturally driven to learn more and inspired by math, let them take the lead and get them placed where they need to be. If your child is bright, doing well in school etc, but not tearing down walls begging to do more math, get them in a track that will accomplish what they need to get them able to enroll in the science classes you're predicting they'll want to take. If your child is a great student and a high ability student but just really isn't all that interested in math, don't push it.

Thanks for this thoughtful comment, which is quite relevant to me personally. As seen in another thread, my DD is 2 years accelerated in math and struggling somewhat. She has never loved math as taught in school, although she has always had a side interest in "math patterns" and "math rules"--this reliably excites her about math, but they never do it in school...she comes up with them on her own, like a little theorem generator. Otherwise, math is probably her least favorite subject, generating groans. She would never want to participate in an out of school math event or camp--she would kill me if I made her do summer math!! Yet FWIW, she also received a perfect score on last year's standardized math test for our state..I believe that puts her in the less than 1%. But passion isn't there, at least not yet, and I do know kids her age who are full of it for math.

However, she LOVES science (recently won some awards related to that) and that's really something to consider. She would do summer science in a heartbeat.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 06/26/24 06:35 PM
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM