Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    OP Offline
    Yeah-- if PTSD is a disability (and I'm saying up front that it probably does constitute a hidden disability), then presumptions about the nature and required accommodations for that disabling condition are just--

well, just plain rude. Presumptuous, even, and wrong-wrong-wrong.

After all, you wouldn't presume to tell someone with disabling rheumatoid arthritis how accommodations for their condition are going to play out without even asking beforehand, would you?

"Oh, I know just what you need. Here, let me tell you." eek

This is the cardinal rule when following the spirit of an administrative rule like ADA-- never presume what someone else would like, or needs. ASK-- or better still, let them choose whether or not to inform you at all. The individual WITH the condition is the expert on how to live with it, if that makes sense. But the catch is that in a post-secondary setting, it is up to the student to inform administration of the nature and extent of the disabling condition, and to work out what appropriate and reasonable accommodations look like.

Just as it will be in, you know-- the workplace after they finish college. Others aren't responsible for accommodating you when they don't know that you need accommodations to begin with.

Weird but true-- Keifer Sutherland's mannerisms and facial features serve as a personal trigger for me. I've never watched any of his work on film, and don't intend to. I can read about or think about OTHER things related to my traumatic experiences, but for some reason that one thing really bothers me, even after 30 years. I no longer have disabling PTSD, if I ever did-- but my point is that if current stats are anything like accurate, about 10% of college women have experienced a sexual assault, and about half of them may have developed PTSD as a result (this is about the expected rate in women after sexual trauma).

As many as one student in every 30 or 40, then, on a co-ed campus, could be "triggered" by reminders of their trauma. MOST of those students aren't going to be triggered by stranger-with-a-weapon accounts of sexual assault-- because that isn't what happened to most of them. About 90% of them knew the person(s) that did that to them. If college instructors are TRULY interested in eliminating statistically meaningful triggers, avoid things like talking about hyper-masculine behaviors, misogyny, being alone with dates/acquaintances, slightly-creepy, too-smooth, or overly-friendly people, and emotional manipulation or college parties. Because those are the things that most of the sexually assaulted women sitting in their classes could realistically associate with their trauma.

So yes, I reiterate that this is simply nonsense that makes the INSTRUCTORS feel good about being so aware and sensitive and responsive... and actually does very little for the true trauma survivors in their classrooms. It's merely insulting and presumptuous.

Very much like a teacher who tells parents and students what they "need" from a GT program. When you aren't normative, it just plain feels invasive and rude for someone else to TELL you what your own experience "should" be-- and all the more so when they aren't members of your little non-normative tribe to start with, or when they get it wrong.

But I accommodated this already.

Um-- no, you really didn't.

But I did! Look-- it's right here, this thing that I implemented for just this reason! {smiles proudly and points to syllabus}

No, you really didn't. I'm a member of {minority group} and I'm here to talk to you about what I actually need. I was hoping that we could talk about my needs in particular.

But I accommodated all of this already. {puzzled} I know all about _______ (difference), and I already undertook appropriate steps to fix it.

{insert head banging emoticon here}

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    Telling people that they are perenially oppressed when they are not and that they have the right not to be offended can cause mental health problems, and it also makes them less prepared for life after college. What would the students do if asked to read something by Charles Murray or Heather MacDonald?

Yale’s Halloween Advice Stokes a Racially Charged Debate
    By LIAM STACK
    New York Times
    November 8, 2015

The debate over Halloween costumes began late last month when the university’s Intercultural Affairs Committee sent an email to the student body asking students to avoid wearing “culturally unaware and insensitive” costumes that could offend minority students. It specifically advised them to steer clear of outfits that included elements like feathered headdresses, turbans or blackface.

In response, Erika Christakis, a faculty member and an administrator at a student residence, wrote an email to students living in her residence hall on behalf of those she described as “frustrated” by the official advice on Halloween costumes. Students should be able to wear whatever they want, she wrote, even if they end up offending people.

An early childhood educator, she asked whether blond toddlers should be barred from being dressed as African-American or Asian characters from Disney films.

“Is there no room anymore for a child or young person to be a little bit obnoxious … a little bit inappropriate or provocative or, yes, offensive?” she wrote. “American universities were once a safe space not only for maturation but also for a certain regressive, or even transgressive, experience; increasingly, it seems, they have become places of censure and prohibition.”

Ms. Christakis’s email touched on a long-running debate over the balance between upholding free speech and protecting students from hurt feelings or personal offense. It also provoked a firestorm of condemnation from Yale students, hundreds of whom signed an open letter criticizing her argument that “free speech and the ability to tolerate offence” should take precedence over other considerations.

“To ask marginalized students to throw away their enjoyment of a holiday, in order to expend emotional, mental, and physical energy to explain why something is offensive, is — offensive,” the letter said. “To be a student of color on Yale’s campus is to exist in a space that was not created for you.”

Ms. Christakis’s email also led to at least one heated encounter on campus between her husband, Nicholas Christakis, a faculty member who works in the same residential college, and a large group of students who demanded that he apologize for the beliefs expressed by him and his wife, which they said failed to create a “safe space” for them.

When he was unwilling to do so, the students angrily cursed and yelled at him, according to a video posted to YouTube by a free speech group critical of the debate. On Sunday it had been viewed over 450,000 times.

In their defense, nobody should be reading Charles Murray. He's about as relevant as Erich von Däniken.

Val Offline
    Sorry Dude, but comments like yours above don't help.

B
    B
    Sometimes using the writings of authors that are challenging and a little (or a lot) "out there" can help the educational process move along. A discussion of creation that includes Erich von Daniken alongside evolution and the Judeo-Christian version might allow students to learn how to discuss a topic that may provoke strong emotions in a publicly appropriate way. The likelihood that a person embraces all three perspectives or is emotionally vested in all three types of writings is low and thus they can learn how to have an intellectual discussion by discussing what is , for the individual student, the less personal, less emotional view.

Learning to objectively evaluate the evidence for and against an authors statements is, to me, one of the main points of education.

Yes, it is hard to know what topic will profoundly affect another person and that is why communication is key. If we cannot, due to a disabling condition, discuss a topic, then we should talk to the professor and figure out alternatives; even as we would find alternatives if we were in a physically impossible class. If we are uncomfortable, challenged, disagree with the professor, or simply don't know how to defend our position on an issue, isn't that why we are in the class? To learn another perspective, to learn how to evaluate evidence, to learn how to defend an opinion based on knowledge and informed belief? Even as we might sign up for an exercise class that is hard, makes us uncomfortable and challenges us, but also increases our abilities?

Dude, that's not true I thoroughly enjoyed reading Chariots of The Gods when I was a kid - it was thought provoking if a tad tenuously stretched. I also enjoy watching Stargate :-)

Personally, I think a lot of these spoiled kids on college campuses need to grow the heck up and accept that not everyone in the world shares their weltanshauung. They need to understand that their virulent victimhood is becoming just as offensive to many hard working people that just deal.

Honestly! I cannot help from reaching the conclusion that encouraging this sort of grubbing around looking for a reason to be a victim is like giving a hypochondriac a medical dictionary. {sigh}

Some of their arguments make Von Daniken's look like Euclidian axioms in comparison.

Last edited by madeinuk; 11/10/15 05:27 AM.

Become what you are
    Point taken about von Däniken and Murray having a place in college, because there's some value to reading junk science and deconstructing it. We don't teach enough critical thinking, and this would be an effective way to do it.

Tragically close to a future coming to us all soon...

educayshun

Become what you are
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    Tragically close to a future coming to us all soon...

educayshun

Stop violating me with your different opinions! cry

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Telling people that they are perenially oppressed when they are not and that they have the right not to be offended can cause mental health problems, and it also makes them less prepared for life after college. What would the students do if asked to read something by Charles Murray or Heather MacDonald?
    Understanding Charles Murray's strengths and deficiencies requires both intelligence and an open mind. Most people don't have either one, let alone both.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM