Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    BSM, I'm glad you have a workable solution and hope it relieves stress for your family!

DS has not enjoyed art since he left the Montessori school he was in -- although the teachers seem nice, there seems to be a lot of emphasis on doing things a certain way. When that doesn't work for him (usually because he can't do it perfectly as some classmates can), he feels badly. He's pretty much given up on art. At 9.

That is so sad and we've heard the same from DS. When school ruins a kid's interest in a topic, it really makes me wonder why we bother with it at all.

B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    How is DS doing, otherwise?

Ok. Overall, better than a couple of weeks ago, but we're sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop. PTSD you know? smile

We're still waiting to see what the district proposes in terms of editing his IEP. In the mean time he's doing well in his academic classes.

I think he's still in a fragile state and could easily go off the rails. One of the observations I've made (and I think I've mentioned this before) is that he gets very stressed when assignments are vague or confusing. The school knows about this and hopefully will be working to avoid those situations. But I'm not holding my breath....

B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    BSM--I saw a quote on FB recently, "Your child is not giving you a hard time--he's having a hard time." Another variation--your child is not a problem, but has a problem. Or the old standby: Children need our love most when they deserve it the least.

I know that's kind of schmaltzy stuff, but it would be nice to feel like the adults have better skills in place than the kids, wouldn't it? On a most practical level, this would be a good model of problem-solving for our kids when their coping skills aren't equal to their emotions.

It is a good strategy that I try to use with adults too. Being a parent of a 2e kid has taught me a lot.

But yeah, our school is not equipped for compassion apparently, just discipline.

E
    E
    What do you think set him off in the art class?

Does he actively or passively refuse to comply?

As my DS becomes a little more aware of his process--we've made some helpful discoveries:

He does not do as well in unstructured classes. This year it's more an academic issue (he needs explicit systems to hand in work), but last year it was behavioral. In a class where it is sometimes okay to mill about and socialize, and sometimes not..."time and place" did not compute. He's improving in this and it's because of explicit instruction and also his new (self-chosen) default of "when in doubt, sit down and shut up."

As an aside: I had a revealing conversation with a teenager, yesterday, who has significant anxiety--primarily the social type. She is more of the shy/retiring type but she explained to me that it is very confusing and upsetting when teachers have "pets" who can do no wrong, but there are other students in the class who are called out for behaviors everyone else is doing, also. She isn't one who is in trouble (she's quiet) but the inconsistency increases her anxiety, and she feels sorry for the kids whom the teacher appears to have targeted.

I don't know if any of that applies, and I know you want your DS to learn to manage his behavior better and not be so triggered in these situations. That's obviously an appropriate goal for him, learning to be more flexible and regulate emotions better.

It seems like it would be important to identify what the antecedent is in this situation. FWIW, I think it's fine to pull him since you have a workable solution and bigger fish to fry than an inflexible/inexperienced teacher's inability or unwillingness to consider his unique situation.

Not sure any of this makes sense--still working on the coffee. smile

E
    E
    Thought of something (IEP related). Has your DS had an FBA? If not, I'd request that. Of course, I did request that for my DS and was flatly denied. smirk It seems to me it would be difficult for your son's school to refuse, how could they justify that?

B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    What do you think set him off in the art class?

Does he actively or passively refuse to comply?

As my DS becomes a little more aware of his process--we've made some helpful discoveries:

He does not do as well in unstructured classes. This year it's more an academic issue (he needs explicit systems to hand in work), but last year it was behavioral. In a class where it is sometimes okay to mill about and socialize, and sometimes not..."time and place" did not compute. He's improving in this and it's because of explicit instruction and also his new (self-chosen) default of "when in doubt, sit down and shut up."

I'm not 100% sure but I think it was a combination of boredom, and his history with this teacher. They have been at odds all year, as she is strict, swift to discipline, and he has difficulty in those situations. Both myself and my wife have spoken to her on multiple occasions, but she does not seem to view DS as having a disability or skills issues.

DS will actively refuse to comply. He has problems with anyone telling him what to do, especially if it is in the form of an order or command. He will take direction when it is gently given and he feels like he's being treated as an equal.

I may try some role-playing with him this weekend to see if we can get him to follow faux-commands in a safe setting. A poor man's CBT if you will...

B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thought of something (IEP related). Has your DS had an FBA? If not, I'd request that. Of course, I did request that for my DS and was flatly denied. smirk It seems to me it would be difficult for your son's school to refuse, how could they justify that?

He has had an FBA, and it does a reasonable job of characterizing his issues, but I'm not sure if anyone at the school has looked at it recently.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by LAF
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    Originally Posted by LAF
    I hate that that has happened to you DS ConnectingDots… I have a degree in art and my son is very talented at drawing. A lot of people have suggested I put him into art classes, but I won't unless he asks me to. Art is a wonderful outlet, and putting too much pressure on it (just like on a hose) stops the flow of creativity. We had a wonderful art teacher at our school, but she retired last year, and the new teacher is not liked by the kids.. frown

Thank you! We're not putting any pressure on him at all with it. It's a shame, as this is the same kid who loved to create all sorts of abstract, very beautifully colored art when he was younger. Our hope is that he will pick it back up again sometime. He likes the teacher, but has looked at the work others create and decided his "stinks."

You know, I think you ought to talk to him about the Impressionists. The Salon wouldn't give them the time of day because they weren't doing what The Salon thought was "Art" so they started their own little club and look at how that turned out… the Fauves were called the Fauves because the critics said their art was like art done by "wild beasts."

In his lifetime, Vincent Van Gogh created 900 paintings and made 1,100 drawings and sketches, but only sold one painting during his career. So your DS shouldn't compare his work to his contemporaries, it means nothing smile So it sounds like it's less about the teacher and he's just having a rough bit with perfectionism. Maybe the teacher, since he likes her, could work with him on that?

There is certainly some perfectionism at play. In the sense of judging himself lacking versus his more apt (in these projects) classmates. We talked the teacher last year, when he was actively unhappy with the class and she assured us she talks about how everyone has their own style, etc... Hmm. Something didn't compute for him.

Great examples, thank you. We have a book or two on those artists and will share them with him. I did notice some robot or alien drawings on his desk this morning, so perhaps he's just going undercover. ;-)

E
    E
    Originally Posted by BSM
    He has had an FBA, and it does a reasonable job of characterizing his issues, but I'm not sure if anyone at the school has looked at it recently.
    Since we haven't had this, I don't fully understand it--but isn't the whole point to figure out alternate ways of dealing with undesirable behaviors? Maybe school needs a refresher.

C
    C
    In FL the districts I have taught in or been a parent in have had two parts...the FABA...the assessment piece. And the BIP...the behavior intervention plan. And it is ongoing...you assess, you plan, you implement, you evaluate implementation and results ....if everyone is happy you keep status quo ...if new things pop up you start over again....but in addition to the intervention usually there is an additional teaching component of some sort of skill that is lacking.

But it isn't a one time event

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM