Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    eco21268 #223911 10/15/15 07:08 AM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    "Large Empty Space Ignore It"... "I am just pretending to write down important information"
    This is where having a grading rubric comes in handy, as it clearly communicates what the grading will be based on, thereby managing student expectations. Rubrics can also be a benefit to the teacher as grading & providing feedback are easier when utilizing a streamlined process.

indigo #223913 10/15/15 07:12 AM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by indigo
    "Large Empty Space Ignore It"... "I am just pretending to write down important information"
    This is where having a grading rubric comes in handy, as it clearly communicates what the grading will be based on, thereby managing student expectations. Rubrics can also be a benefit to the teacher as grading & providing feedback are easier when utilizing a streamlined process.

DS didn't have anything in writing regarding requirements on this assignment, but the teacher said "It was on the board for two weeks." That doesn't help me much, when I'm trying to help DS get better at this stuff...

Nary a rubric in sight. Requirements in this class have been unclear all year. DS is going to have to just STOP in this class. It sounds unlikely, but he doesn't seem to understand why this kind of thing is a bad idea.

eco21268 #223915 10/15/15 07:34 AM
    I
    I
    Yes, indeed he has to stay on-topic in his writing. Some might call this developing a filter, so that all his thoughts are not blurted out... but rather are filtered through one or more mental questions, which he silently asks himself, such as: is this on-topic, how does this add to the current theme, who is the audience, what are some likely reactions/responses of the audience, etc.

Meanwhile, it may be possible to examine the works and sketch a brief rubric. This might begin with a matrix or spreadsheet consisting of 5 or so criteria, each given a value of 0-5 points (or 1-4, or 1-5, etc). For example:
    - grammar/readability/use of full sentences (scale of 1-5 based on presence/absence of errors, style, etc)
    - proper APA citation format (scale of 1-5 based on fidelity to APA format; Purdue Owl is one well-known authoritative resource for citation information)
    - number of resources cited (scale of 1-5 depending on number of resources)
    - development of theme (scale of 1-5 based on degree of coherency)
    - original thought/analysis/synthesis/connections/conclusions (scale of 1-5 based on depth of insight articulated)

Something like this could be a simple checklist for your son to utilize as he writes, guiding him in his work. He may soon become adept in making up his own structures to guide himself.

After developing a sample rubric for this particular assignment which both you and your son see as reasonable, it may be possible to approach the teacher with the idea of a rubric as a "communication tool" to efficiently state expectations, as well as ease her grading/feedback burden (the time it takes for her to grade and provide feedback). The idea would not be to push for use of your particular rubric, but to offer it as an exemplar which she may adopt/adapt.

The rubric may also help the teacher keep the significance of your son's off-topic sentence in perspective; A 15 point deduction may have been disproportionate and harsh.

eco21268 #223916 10/15/15 07:50 AM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Yes, the lack of filter is an ongoing issue. Only in certain personality permutations, though.

DS really just needs a hard and fast rule, other than the one he came up with last year: "Just don't say anything."

We've tried "contain the snark" but that one doesn't always work because he is sometimes being snarky and sometimes being clueless. His communication style sounds snarky when it's truly not his intention, as well as when it is.

I think 15 points was a bit harsh, but also not unexpected (by me, anyhow). DS is eternally optimistic. Or maybe naive. There is no way the teacher would respond to my providing a rubric--he hasn't responded to much simpler requests or questions. I'm not too worried about it, kind of "considering the source" and not sweating it too much.

I wish I could accelerate DS' maturity process, though.

smirk

eco21268 #223917 10/15/15 08:02 AM
    P
    P
    Here are the newest qualities I am trying to develop in myself: be obsequious. Supplicating. Develop ability to beg. I wrote a pathetic email to the teacher explaining what the consequences to DS are if he does not get at least a C, and explaining this is the reason for that accommodation. I put all the blame on DS and his notoriety around failing to turn in completed work.

eco, I apologize - I haven't had time to read the other replies, so I'll apologize if I repeat something that's already been mentioned. The reason your ds has his accommodation isn't to prevent him from getting a bad grade (although that is what it does in practice). The reason he gets the accommodation is because he has a disability that impacts his organizational skills which in turn makes it difficult for him to stay on top of homework organization. If the accommodation were given simply to ensure a student didn't get a low grade because they forgot to turn in homework, then there would be a lot of students requesting a 504 plan with that accommodation. So... when you are in a situation like this, I'd stay non-emotional and simply repeat repeat repeat that he has a 504, restate his challenge etc. When a teacher isn't following the 504 document it with emails, first to the teacher, and then if it continues cc the 504 team, and if that doesn't result in a change, call a team meeting. CC or call in the district 504 supervisor at some point if you don't get results.

Advocating is *tough*, and chances are that in any given year, there's going to be at least one teacher who doesn't bother following the 504 or isn't interested or doesn't like it that your ds has a 504 or whatever... but begging isn't what works in the long run to change a teacher's mind. Actually you probably won't change the teacher's mind. Advocate from a point of strength, keep the focus on the impact of the disability and documenting issues in writing.

Hang in there,

polarbear

BSM #223919 10/15/15 08:09 AM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by BSM
    You don't want to be the "annoying parent" who complains to the school all of the time. But you have a track record of mistakes, non-compliance, and apparently a lack of problem-solving effort.

You know what I have learned? Being the annoying parent totally has it's pay-offs. Everyone has this big fear of being the "annoying parent." I did too. For a very short time. Well, I got over it. And I am officially an "annoying parent" and guess what? It's good! It's also liberating! I never worry anymore about being "annoying" before I request, seek or even demand, which is liberating. I get to just go ahead and set about getting what my son needs; it's so nice not have to have that step of figuring out how to go about it without being annoying. I could not care less if Mrs. So-and-So thinks I am annoying. It's not my concern what is in her head. I also feel respected. Much more so then when I tried being the nice/likeable/non-annoying parent. They take me serious and deal with me rather than blowing me off because the quicker they deal with me they can lessen their annoyance. These people are not my friends. I have friends. They are not my family. I have family. They are professionals who may be held accountable and I treat them as such. My job is to ensure that they are doing their job, which is educating and giving my son access to his education. My job is not to be the 'most liked (least annoying) parent' in the school. Also, I think my kid actually gets better teachers due to it. The administration knows that if my son gets one that is not good the amount of "annoyance" he will have to deal with from me is so not worth it wink Last year, my son had great teachers and as a result we had one and only one meeting. They year before I think we had 8 iep meetings! They now realize it is in their best interest to not annoy the annoying parent!

Last edited by Irena; 10/15/15 08:14 AM.
    polarbear #223921 10/15/15 08:12 AM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    The reason he gets the accommodation is because he has a disability that impacts his organizational skills which in turn makes it difficult for him to stay on top of homework organization. If the accommodation were given simply to ensure a student didn't get a low grade because they forgot to turn in homework, then there would be a lot of students requesting a 504 plan with that accommodation
    I know you are right, polarbear but the funny thing is--when I tried reminding the teacher the "right" way--he didn't do anything to correct a different situation, but when I explained the reason for the accommodation (keeping gradebook current) was so I can intervene if DS goes off the rails, in time to keep him from being booted, I got a much more sympathetic response!

This is only for this year. I won't have to be so ridiculous after this--but for now, I just have to do whatever. At least that is how it feels...

Irena #223922 10/15/15 08:18 AM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by Irena
    My job is not to be the 'most liked (least annoying) parent' in the school.
    Good point, Irena. I'm glad that's not my job...pretty sure I'd be out of work. smile

eco21268 #223923 10/15/15 08:22 AM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Irena
    My job is not to be the 'most liked (least annoying) parent' in the school.
    Good point, Irena. I'm glad that's not my job...pretty sure I'd be out of work. smile

LOL! me too, obviously!

eco21268 #223924 10/15/15 08:34 AM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    I don't really have a point in saying this--but, Irena, your post and also polarbear's kind of reminded me of a couple of important things about DS' 504. Maybe I just want to get my thoughts out in writing. I've somehow been kind of brainwashed into thinking the school is doing DS a BIG FAVOR by giving him a 504.

Fact is, the two most important "accommodations" in his 504 are not accommodations at all. They describe professional, responsible teacher behaviors of 1) keeping grade-book up to date by putting in assignments as they are made and 2) responding to my email. The only reason these items are in the 504 is because these things didn't happen last year and it had a pretty horrible impact on my child.

No student and/or parent (with or without disability) should find out the day the quarter ends their child hasn't been handing in major assignments and is failing. Especially if the grade has looked to be an A until that day--obviously there are cases when a grade is borderline and a test or something like that tips the scales.

I get that teachers fall behind and it is a hard job but we shouldn't really have to have things like this written in legal documents. Duh.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM