Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm away from home right now, and am staying with a good friend who's a teacher in a non-English-speaking western European country. We were talking about how math is taught over here vs. the US, and it was a fascinating discussion. She had a second grade book and a fourth grade book that we were looking at.

The biggest differences that we identified are that 1) the curriculum here goes into depth and focuses on understanding, and 2) children are shown different methods for doing something and taught to pick the one that suits them best.

Take addition of two-digit numbers, for example. A page in the textbook shows that Nico sees 44 + 28 as 40+20 and 4 + 8. Anna sees it as 42 + 30. Yoli prefers 44 + 20 + 8. Etc.

The kids then practice a few (literally) problems and are encouraged to find the method that works best for them, with the understanding that different methods might work best at different times.

Homework in grade 6 or below is generally in the range of 5-7 problems, with the philosophy being, "for us, that's the optimal number to encourage learning."

I was contrasting with systems like Everyday Mathematics, which also introduce different approaches, but at different times, and without explicitly stating that there are different ways of doing things and that each child should use the one that works best. Well, at least this approach wasn't used in my son's 2nd grade EM book/class or in the fifth grade book his friend used.

I also contrasted with mainstream books that show an algorithm and expect the kids to follow it (no one here gets worksheets with 20-30 problems, ever).

Interestingly, the math textbooks are just over 100 pages long (as were the French math books DS had). My friend said that they don't generally get through even that in a year, because they're so focused on understanding over getting through new topics.

Food for thought. I was really impressed with the approach here.

Wow. Jealous.

Can I just say that if I'd known that Anna's method was okay, I'd have been a lot less angsty as a child while learning mathematics?

That method really reminds me of the Singapore Mathematics approach-- it's largely visual, and relies very very little upon learnt algorithms so much as on concepts that underlie those algorithms.

For example, the notion that dividing by a fraction is the same thing as multiplying by the inverse of that fraction-- that is a thing that few children now ever learn. They know HOW to do it mechanically, all right-- but the ones that don't know WHY tend to (IME) struggle to retain it without ongoing practice. It's crippling when they begin to do advanced algebra or basic quantitative science.

On the one hand, I'm glad that someone, somewhere is doing it right. {sigh}

On the other, it just makes me feel sulky toward-- well, the US system, I suppose.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs