Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Instoyque, Gourab, Jwack, journeyfarther, Clare
    11,505 Registered Users
    September
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #216171 05/13/15 05:59 AM
    2eTeach Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hello all,

It said this was the place for introductions, so here I am. I am a twice-exceptional, possibly even thrice-exceptional adult who was never offered any gifted education. My state has no gifted mandate or funding and is red on the map.

After spending years in the working world I am attempting to go back and become a teacher specializing in 2E students, although I may ultimately have to go to another state once I graduate.

The prospect of going back to school, where there has been very little except frustration and failure for me....is daunting. I have serious doubts about my ability to get through it. I am probably going to have to audit every class and then go take it for real, while testing out or getting life credits anywhere I can.

I hope people will hire me/ a graduate program will take me if I go through a non-traditional program but I have serious doubts about ever passing a traditional one unless it is an actual 2E based program which does not exist at college level in my state (Illinois) as far as I know.

It amazes me how people can not understand that an unsupported gifted mind becomes a detriment that is a de facto disability in its own right and that 2E or not, when you do not help gifted youngsters develop you waste our most capable minds who have something to contribute to this world. I myself am a prime example, but I know many others.

I am all for "No child being left behind" but its not about lowest common denominator. Everyone to a functional minimum standard in areas of weakness *and* develop actual strengths, encourage innovation, adaptation, creativity. Have children learn to actually think for themselves and find solutions.

My quest for credentials to support my life experiences and research has begun smile

You can call me 2ETeach.

2eTeach #216567 05/19/15 07:57 PM
    Welcome 2ETeach!
    I too am a teacher and it is amazing how many things are not taught in teacher training courses.
    Does your state have alternative paths to getting your teaching license? If so, that maybe a better way to go than through traditional courses. The requirements differ from state to state, but often times it requires you do some essay writing about particular educational topics, which would require you doing some independent research, but which also are heavily geared toward people who have been doing something else with their lives and are changing careers. This means that you usually get to include a lot about why you are becoming a teacher and how you would bring your experiences into the classroom.
    Although for this path you don't have to take standard classes, you do usually have to take professional development classes every year to keep the license current. (I know that is the case with almost all states and with most licenses now, but I am old enough that I have a lifetime certification, which doesn't require the continuous DP credits.)

2eTeach #216581 05/19/15 10:55 PM
    Also be aware that accommodations in higher education have come LIGHT YEARS in the past two decades.

If you have a diagnosis in hand-- take it with you to your institution's office of disability/accommodations and see what they can do to help. Seriously. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Weird results for 2nd Grade Gifted Test
    by aeh - 09/16/24 02:00 PM
    Please help me understand child results
    by aeh - 09/15/24 07:28 PM
    How critical is school selection?
    by aeh - 09/15/24 06:50 PM
    A Progressive Assault on Selective High Schools
    by Dakota Pilcher - 09/10/24 01:08 AM
    Classroom support for advanced reader